Click here if you are having website access problems ×

14” or 13”. Wheels Or. 15”” csr ?.?

Derek Batty

Hi been pondering putting new set of wheels and tyres On. Car was going to get new seven but cannot. Really justify it. Also cost ,have a 150 sv sigma roadsport. Used only for touring Like the car but thought new set of wheels just for a change. Think the look Of 13 “. Seem to leave the. Rear arches a bit empty have set of mini lites on 6””. Front and rear. Tried to find set of 8”. For rear just for looks. Thought 13”. Suited track rather than road. Your thoughts appreciated. Derek

Hi Derek *byebye*

Hope all good with you

Personal thing, but I like 13's (not to do with track vs. road etc, just aesthetically)

Mine is 6j front and 8j rear which I think fills the arches nicely, but am guessing with a 0 offset (if my maths is right) 6j in the rear will fill the arch as much as my 8's do (+20 offset)

That said - my car came with 8's and with 235/45 rears am guessing 8's are needed to accommodate tyre

Plus I'm fat, so I need the extra space 13's give me when I get in the car!!

Derek,

As someone who uses 13"  for road use, I find there is very little choice of tyre available that will cope with wet /cold conditions.  I am on the last of the road legal AO21Rs and despair of finding any thing near as good to replace them with, so I  think 14" are a better choice for you.

Good luck

My first 7 had 14's, my current has 13's Derek - in terms of ride - both pretty uncomfortable!!

Main difference with current car is profile, particularly rears at 45. Would imagine 13's or 14's will be similar if the same profile (thats a guess as opposed to anything educated).

Per Virden's comment - not massive range of sizes - I am currently on 175 front and 235 rear Khunmo Ecsta V70a - which don't like the wet/cold (or my right foot)!

Being an SV predominantly used for touring I think 14s or 15s will give the right look and ground clearance. 13s just look too small for the SV chassis.

If you fancy a change I’d go for 15” caterham ten spokes with Toyo T1R 195/50 15s at about 35 quid each.

just my 0.02 worth

Ian

• Area Representative

Derek. The R300 K (and I think the R400K) came as standard with 15” wheels and CR500 195/45/15 Avon tyres. 13” were optional on both. 

I find the ride on my R300 pretty good, but availability of the 195/45/15 tyres is a bit of an issue. I have never tried 13 or 14” so cannot comment. 

You can still get Avon 195/45/15 though and remember they were developed by Avon specifically for the Caterham 7. However, the new replacement Avon tyre is 195/50/15 and can be tight with low front mudguards. Sump clearance is an issue, as I have had to recently replace mine after hitting an object in the road. 

Piers

• Area Representative

There is also the 8 spoke 13” x 9” wheel fitted to the CSR to consider. Took a 245” tyre and would definitely fill the rear arches. They have been fitted to an S3 before

• Leadership Team

IMHO A 150 SV Sigma Roadsport would be completely over-tyred with 245 section rear tyres, The best setup for this spec of car for touring (as already mentioned) would be 15" 10 spoke anthracite wheels with CR500s in 195/45R15.

Stu.

I guess how 13 inch fill the arches depends on the profile of tyres fitted - I've generally gone for 60 profiles to get a bit more warning before the rears are going to breakaway and the size of the wheels look good in the wheel arch. I've got a feeling in the early 90's (mines a 1993 supersport) the standard profile used was even bigger with 70's fitted. 185/60 do give a 10%+over read on the speedo

I've got 2 sets of 13x6",  one set with 185/60 A539 Yokohama's all round for general/autumn and winter use and one set with Toyo R888R's 185/50 fronts and 205/60 rears for summer use. 205's are the max for 6" wide rims