Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec high oil pressure

sjl1

Just been out for a blat after a month or so and noticed my new to me <1000 miles 360r seems to be running very high oil pressure. At 50mph its running 6 bar cold reducing to 5 bar on return when hot, increasing revs over 4000 sends pressure to 6.5 to 7 bar which is the start of the gauge red area. Idling is 2.5 bar which seems reasonable. Is this just a new tight engine or something more? 7 bar seems concerningly high

My wet sump Duratec has always had high and fluctuating oil pressure, up to over 100 PSI.  I used to worry about it but with 55,000 miles on the engine (including a lot of track miles) I've stopped worrying.  I work on the thinking that if I just had an oil pressure light I would know nothing about it.

100 PSI is about 7 Bar, and if Tony has 55K on his car this may be typical for the Duratec engine. Does anybody know at what pressure the PRV is specified to open at? 5 Bar is the PRV Ford convention that I have stuck in my head, 

I recently fitted a mechanical OP gauge to my R400D (wet sump) to get more accurate readings.  Details here.

(Hey, hyperlink colour is back to orange!  Thanks for fixing that.  Uh oh, I spoke too soon. The link is indeed orange when you create it, but once the post is loaded, the link turns to an indistinguishable blue.)

If you click the second link in my tagline it sets up a new search where you can add your own terms, filters etc.

Very neat, JK.  That tells you all you need to know about how dire our own search tool is.

JV

• 1 month later...

Just took mine out to fill up (back on track at the club Silverstone day on Monday and it's been in the garage for 4 months). Oil pressure was pushing closer to 8 bar when I was pushing the revs up (not to the red line). Obviously it's very cold today. Do you think I should be worried?! Not changed anything over the winter.

Edited: Sorry, meant to add that a difference here is that it's a 620S so has the dry sump. I'm using Mobil 1 10w-60 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil.

The CC Handbook states:

Duratec (2.0 Supercharged 620 R) Motorsport 10/60w Fully Synthetic

It doesn't mention the 620S but I imagine it would be the same.

Getting on for 8 bar does seem very high, though.  Does the 620S (or R) have the Ford OE pressure relief valve?  If so, is it adjustable?  Is the gauge telling porkies?  Is the OP sender faulty?  What do CC say?

JV

Thanks all. I wish I was able to answer any of your questions! No idea I'm afraid. Factory built 2016 620S. Sadly the club trackday at Silverstone was called off this afternoon due to the weather. However, that means there is a little less urgency so I'll call CC and see what they say. I'll update this post when I hear more as, if it's normal behavior at very low temperatures, it might be concerning for others with a similar setup.

Update on this having spoken to CC (actually Greg from BaT who was quick to call me back after I posted a note on the website). The guys in the workshop reckon this oil pressure is normal for a 620. Obviously the 10w / 60 oil is a little thicker anyway and it would have been like treacle given the recent temperatures (and my garage is not connected to the house to get any ambient heat). Apparently the 620's do run a higher oil pressure too for some reason. So basically all fine. For anyone with a 620, don't worry if you see it spike into the red (8 bar) the next time "The Beast from the East" rocks up. But obviously take time to gently warm the oil up before thrashing it round the track!

Following on from the high oil pressure, i also noticed that the oil temperature stays quite low around 80c which was a surprise. Previous car was a sigma 310 and that ran much hotter. Granted its been cold recently so will be interesting to see what temp and pressure do when Spring finally arrives

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest where is the oil temperature measured on a 620? 

My R400D runs at about 60c on the road, going up to a max of 80c on track but is measured low on the DS tank, after cooling and just before going back into the engine, which I think is about right.