Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear wing - repair or replace?

keith.rose1

Backed into a post and damaged off side rear wing.

What do you reckon - just fit a new one, or are there places that will do a good repair and repaint for a lower cost?

Its a '92 Super Seven, and I live in Loughborough, Leics

thanks Keith

I have a pic, but doesn't seem possible to upload to here

It really depends if you have a rear wing with one of the gel coat colour or a bespoke colour, a new gel coat coloured rear wing might turn up just a little bit cheaper. if you want to repair it forget glass matting, just glue it back together with sikaflex and finish the exterior with putty for glass fibre the spray

It looks like the part of the wing beneath the tail lights is sitting forward of the rear panel.  Is there any damage to the wing / fixings inside the wheel arch?  Might be worth looking to see where the fracture terminates i.e. into the wiring hole for the lights or all the way across the wing as this may have a bearing on repair ability.  Are you looking to do the patch up yourself ?

• Leadership Team

With that amount of damage I'd replace it. The damage will have propagated into the grp beneath the gel coat and it'll take quite a thickness of new grp on the underside to give the strength needed to support a satisfactory repair.

Stu.

I recently replaced a rear wing with not dissimilar damage. Had it sprayed by CC Ltd in original colour code before delivery but it was a terrible match and a waste of money. Took it to a local, and very good spray shop with the nose cone to get a match - it was still not good enough. Took it again with the old wing and finally got a satisfactory match - and a heavier wing!. To cap it all they said I should have asked them to repair the GRP and they would have blended-in the colour. Lesson learnt as they say!  I would seek a repair before buying new.  

That looks the same sort of damage that I have and the standard Caterham red, I decided just to replace both of mine as being 16 years old there was a fair amount of gravel rash.

I think the cost of each wing from Redline was £120 each, it would have been a easy job if five of the rivnuts did not just spin. So it was get the angle grinder out time, I have also replaced the bolts with nylon ones hoping that these will be easier to remove in the future.

I hope to get if finished later on today *thumbup*

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got around to it after a sunny holiday away from the Beast. I went for a new wing from Redline, and fitted some Classic car LED bulbs as well. I used stainless nuts and bolts, with some rubber rivnuts to replace a couple of the rivnuts that had failed. 

Thanks, and happy blatting!