Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Girling master cylinder repair kit

Johnh

Thanks for the reply Tony

In my own experience as a retired motor engineer I would agree it’s always best to replace the whole unit but due to the cylinder bore is in excellent condition I personally would replace the seals on this one.. the problem is this cylinder is or seems to be a little difficult to get hold of..I’ll contact redline in the week to ask what stock they have for this cylinder tried calling but no answer (probably closed for Xmas).

i would prefer to keep the unit original to avoid changing brake lines into the cylinder.

if anyone knows where I can get a like for like cylinder if no kit is available let me know please 

john

All sorted

all sorted..apparently the girling cylinder is a bit of an oddity according to mick at redline (mick is still there helping out for now) first he’s Heard of a tandem girling cylinder being used by Caterham’s he said.. so as it was difficult to source internal parts had to go with a new ap cylinder in the end.

Interesting but unfortunately I couldn’t get hold of the like for like girling parts or cylinder.. so gone with what is currently held in stock with redline 

i did find some reference to my girling cylinder being fitted to ford cortina and fiesta when flicking around the net.. I expect if I’d plodded on eventually I may have found one?

It don’t feel good when it’s sick in the garage 

This copied from an old post

"From my research when I needed to rebuild my one is that it is a Girling (now TRW) part. Supplied only to Morgan (Plus 4 I think..) and Caterham. Impossible to get a new one at a reasonable price (and I have some good contacts at TRW!)

However if only a rebuild is needed a seal kit is available from Morgan parts department (Tel 01684 577206) (much more helpful then CC!!) - Part number is MBH0540 and cost me £8.95 + VAT.

and IIRC THEY purchase it from a company called Past Parts (http://www.pastparts.co.uk/)"

. Not sure if it's relevant but it may help someone in the future.

"

• 3 years later...

I have a 1988 x/f with Girling master cylinder that is leaking.

Seeing the post above I took it to 'Past Parts' as they were only an hour away from me (they are in Bury St Edmunds).

They said that could carry out a complete refurbishment for about £120 + Vat. Turn around time 3 weeks.

This unit stamped 74660152 039 is not interchangeable with the later AP master cylinders.

Richard