Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo inaccuracy v differential

James D

I have a 1996 reg, 1600k 6 speed to which has a 3.92 diff and 14 inch wheels.  My speedo is rock steady but an indicated 30mph is actually 35/36mph and an indicated 60mph is actually 70/71mph. 

The worm drive within the gearbox has been changed to try to compensate for this with a 25 tooth, but to no avail, however I have been reliably informed that if I changed to the 'standard' 3.62 diff that should have come with the 6 speed box that all my worries will be over and my speedo will be accurate or perhaps over read to which I am most happy with. 

Question posed, is the a decent resolve or could I have missed another solution that does not involve changing the speedo for digital or running a bicycle speedo for example?  

Kind regards,

James

I'd choose the transmission ratios I wanted first then play with the instruments later...

Other options include:

1. A GPS speedometer, either a dedicated instrument or an app on a smart 'phone. 
  2. Keeping the rude mechanicals and adding some accurate speed marks to the face of the speedometer with Letraset or similar.
  3. Having the speedometer tweaked eg by John Ostick.

Jonathan

Indeed I have a mechanical Speedo. I just could not see how it could not be calibrated to suit rather than defer to a diff replacement. Hope a conversation with John Ostick may resolve but will see.... not unless there is another solution?

I have a 1997 car with the same engine/gearbox/diff/wheel combination, and the speedo over reads so there must be the parts out there to make it behave like this. The car did have a kmh speedo at some point before I owned it (Caterham supplied a cert with its previous mileage) but otherwise I'm not aware of any changes that would have been made. The speedo is cable driven.

I fitted a bike speedo, to get something more accurate and less "bouncy" but can understand if you don't want to go down that route.