Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Any point in considering different tyres?

Paul Mason

So, just as leaving the house, changed mind & decided to drive the 7 to work this morning rather than the barge as chilly, yet sunny and looks like its going to stay that way for a couple of days. "Make hay while the sun shines" (well sort of shines, I am in northern parts) and all that. Roads were still damp from last nights rain - but duly noted and cautious application of right foot to ensure arrived at work facing the right way. Happy to report, arrived facing right way and smiling like an idiot.

Still learning the car, but have definitely already learned (I think) that the Kumho Ecsta V70A's fitted don't like 1) the wet or 2) the cold, but per previous comment, drive with that in mind and all is good.

Bringing me eventually to my question - thoughts on which of the following is best course of action please:

1) Consider different, more all round tyre - if so, any recommendations?

2) Have a winter/wetter and dry set of wheels & tyres to interchange (though conscious of cost)

3) Accept that lightweight, relatively powerful car and cold/wet never mix well regardless of tyre, so adapt driving/wear light shoes? May be an enforced decision subject to cost, but still curious of thoughts out there.

Thanks in advance and apols if I have missed loads of previous forums on the subject (I did do a search, promise)

Paul

That is a good point Tom, and probably would agree this time next year, however as I'm still in the honeymoon period, I am wanting to drive as much as possible when reasonably bright and sunny and (so far) salt free - if nothing else it gives me a good excuse to get underneath and clean and polish and wax away any dirt and grime

• Area Representative
I have used Nokian W+ winter tyres and been satisfied with their performance from this time of year to about early April. If they go on now, it will be their 5th season.

I used them instead of Yokohama AO21R, but now that I am using Uniroyal Rainmaster 3, the benefit may be smaller.

Ah you're in the same boat as I was exactly a year ago (bought mine 11/11/16)!

It was a war of the heart and mind, I was utterly paranoid about the galvanic corrosion yet incredibly eager to drive my newly acquired dream car.

Inevitably, I couldn't resist the urge and for the first few weeks of ownership I went on quite a few drives; in the first weekend I actually drove a total of 400 miles. To settle my paranoia though, after every drive out, I got the car up on axle stands and literally bathed the underneath of the car with an array of brushes, car shampoo and lots of rinsing. With me under the 7 on my back covered in soap suds, the neighbors thought I was bonkers.

It allowed me to sleep at least, but also made the whole event of driving the car on salty roads that more taxing, factoring in the post-drive spa treatment.

The spigot bearing gave up the ghost in early December so that forced my hand, and the car was off the road until I got that sorted (with the help of LADS) in March.

I've had a good summer in it, couple of track days plus a blast out at Curborough, on top of a few blats and a trip to Le Mans and back. Honestly, I don't think I've used it enough this year though, but life can often get in the way. Next summer I plan on more track days and more early morning weekend blats.

For this Winter I've SORN'd her (from this month onwards), with a few jobs lined up to be completed before Spring.

Back on topic though, tyres.

My 7 is putting out 196bhp on R888Rs, 185/60/13 fronts and 205/55/13 rears.

With caution, I've not had any worrying moments even in the wet and cold, but then I really wasn't pushing on in those conditions and I wouldn't recommend doing so anyway.

I did toy with the idea of a track-set and a road-set, the latter being more cold/wet friendly - but weighing up the cost, inconvenience and potential (lack of) differing levels of grip I've decided to just stick with my R888Rs and replace them as and when they wear out. The R888Rs come in the GG compound which is a touch harder wearing than the SG compound you can get in some R888 sizes. As a result they offer a little bit less grip, but that's the trade off I'm willing to accept for longevity and don't get me wrong, the R888Rs still hold on!

Not really sure if my experience helps your dilemma as I don't really know how the V70A compares to the R888R. Everything is subjective. I've raced karts for years on slicks in the wet, so I know what its like to drive quickly with sod all grip and I've just jumped out of years in S2000s (RWD, no traction control) so I think to me it is just natural progression. I don't know about yourself, but if you've jumped out of something with more driver aids and more wet/cold friendly tyre options then it may just be a case that you'll need to adjust your expectations a little.

As our 7s are so lightweight, there really are not many wet/cold weather tyre options out there as we struggle to generate the heat needed in tyres that would normally work wonders in a car twice the weight.

Anyways, I hope that helps you somehow, and welcome to the fold!

Many thanks Golf Tango Whiskey - have seen a few mentions of Uniroyal Rainexperts in the thread Jonathan Kay shared so that's definitely a one for consideration

Rhauri - thanks for the update - yes indeed the urge to drive is strong - fortunately thus far no salt down and mainly dry so no huge problem thus far but have indeed cleaned the bottom side already.

I've had a little experience in a couple of 7's on 888's (in the dry) and from my limited experience would seem to be broadly similar to the Khumo's - though caveated with limited knowledge and experience thus far.

My daily driver is a newish Audi A6, auto, diesel FWD, its like chalk and cheese - so there is an awful lot of caution needs to be applied with 210 ish BHP and no stability/traction control which I've just got used to over the years. Expectations & driving style is the easiest thing to change in the short term

I'll try and get a couple more weeks of occasional fun in the short term, but all subject to weather/salt etc. And an increased level of caution

Thanks again for thoughts and input all

Sounds a lovely car Paul - any pics?

GJT - What tyre sizes are you seeing the Rainmasters in? I've not seen them in the various Caterham-popular 13" / 14" / 15" sizes I've trawled through - but likely missed a few key size combinations out!

I'd certainly consider those if the treadwear grade was 200 or below.

I must admit Colin, the “use the plaything as it was intended and as often as possible” is something that I can identify with and hope to enjoy as much as possible.......that said I do feel a little conflicted about the dirt and the grime and the grit and the salt and everything else I’m subjecting her too. Something I’ll have to work through in my head in the longer term!

Have just driven to the kids swimming lesson and now get the joy of the argument about which one comes home with me and which one has to go with mum! That’s the biggest issue I’ll have tonight! The cold and damp I can handle, the bickering, well that’s something else!!

I run 888r's and I am sure there is a lower temp limit on them . I don't find them to bad in the wet as long as you are circumspect , I've driven through some very heavy rain on the M53 and M56 , it was exciting ! But they really dont like it cold and damp . I pick my days to drive the 7 in the winter , no heater so it has to be a tad warmer .    

Wheels can be had relatively cheaply and tyres more suitable to the cold are not to expensive but it might mean an even more extreme food regime at home to pay for them .

Many thanks Nick

Ditto with the no heater so I suspect won’t be a throughout winter mode of transport plus I have a few bits and bobs I’d like to do so there’s going to be some time off the road?

That said, even though it was chilly did enjoy my drive home tonight more than usual, so am somewhat loathed to start doing too much just yet and keep enjoying for as long as possible!

Cheers

Paul

My first 7 was bought in October and i ran it through the winter , I remember vividly   a New Years day blat near Grassington North Yorkshire when going over a crest I got a lot of wheel spin resulting in a raised heat beat for me and my passenger . On returning to the house we were stopping at the host asked if we need to change our trousers as he'd heard the revs flare whilst standing at his back door on the other side of the valley *eek*

I have had a couple of such flares (and genuinely been trying to be relatively sensible) and it does wake you up a bit!

This morning I was conscious of the damp and cold, hence not using full throttle, and even still, in third (in a 5 speed)  when a long progressive application of throttle, still got wheel spin (though in a straight line so not too scary)

First and second were already self imposed ruled out as “fun gears” today, didn’t think 3rd would be!