Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Life?

fauxae

I have a 1.6 Sigma 125 with a Banner 12V/30AH battery. This slumbers happily with a Banner Trickle Charger and always starts no problems. Today with the sun shinning there was no enough power to engage the starter motor.After some jigging about (another story) it started first time. The question is, is 9 years a suitable life expectancy for a battery or have I missed something? Alan

9 years! as above must be some kind of record.

Remember the Banner battery on a Seven is not maintenance free, it's worth checking the electrolyte levels every now and again. To check all you need is a 2p piece (to unscrew the caps) and a torch plus if you are feeling safety conscious some eye protection. 

Today with the sun shinning there was no enough power to engage the starter motor.

You can assess the state of the battery before it lets you down. Measure the voltage at:

1. Rest
  2. Minimum during cranking, or trying to, and
  3. At 3,000 rpm.

After some jigging about (another story) it started first time.

What was the problem?

Jonathan

PS: I wouldn't replace a battery in a 7 with anything that needed topping up (see post #3) and wasn't sealed. 

• Area Representative

Nine years ! 

First car Banner lasted five yearsSecond car Banner lasted four years swopped out for a same size/output Exide which lasted seven years until I sold the car in 2012 & for all I know is still going. Third car Banner expired at four year point - foolishly replaced with another Banner but will see how long it lasts........

All the batteries trickle charged over winter & electrolite level religiously checked.

'Average' life of a Banner seems to be appallingly low even when cared for.

When the latest replacement fails, probably over the winter of 2021, I will not make the same mistake again.

Thanks, guys. From what you say, I should qualify that by saying at lease five years old (my ownership). Any suggestion from where I get one from? I'm in Norfolk and Kings Lynn seems like the nearest Banner dealer. Caterham Cars only do Dry Charge (just add acid) for delivery or Wet Charge, collection from Dartford. Alan 

I've just bought a Lithuim Iron battery for the R1. Can't believe how light it is. 0.7kg v 5.1kg!

It seems to hold at just over 13 v, and has plenty of poke to turn the engine over. It also has a handy built in charge indicator, which is re-assuring.

I also had to buy a new charger, so all in it was 4 times the cost of lead acid, but a cheap weight reduction measure.