Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 3/4Headlamp Upgrade

Bizzielizzie13

• Area Representative

I've been looking to upgrade the standard 5 3/4'' headlamps since the very first time I took my 7 out at night.

I looked at any number of conversions/upgrades/replacements, but wanted a sensible cost solution, so no LEDs here! It looked like I could get 7'' lamps but struggled for my size, as it were.

Well, I had looked at Demon Tweeks over the months & found a Cibie upgrade with Flat front lens listed, but had never seen them with the side lamp option. A few weeks ago they seemed to offer a flat lens (clear type) with the until now missing side lamp. I called to make sure that the web description was correct & after insisting that the option really was on their site they confirmed that they did indeed offer the flat lens with side light.

£70 or so for the pair, fit my existing bulbs & jobs a good un!

Well not quite, the lens arrived next day, great service, opened the pack, hummm. An almost flat lens but with the beam pattern on the lens oh & made by Hella, so not all bad. Well I've got them now so better get on & give them a try. 

Quite simply they are OUTSTANDING a sharp dipped beam cut off with no gaps & very even spread of light, the main beam giving much better penetration & spread of light. All in, a very good value for money upgrade. No issues in doing it apart from the wire clips holding the lamp in are very tight to refit. 

David

• Area Representative

Ian

1/On the bubble wrap label - CIB9860058 followed by the description & 20126

2/These lamps were a simple swap with the same lip, but they seemed thicker in that area hence the mounting wire clips being tighter to refit. There is no location tab on the lamp so you can rotate to some degree to get the correct aim, once the unit is fitted.

I would have no hesitation recommending these, must now look for SM25T's LED bulbs.

Although, have to say the ones I'm using are one of those 'more light for no more power' - 'whiter' than normal lamps.

Can you confirm this is the Demon Tweeks page to choose the various options here https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/headlights/cibie-5-34-inch-e-approved-headlight-conversions and for your lamps you chose the options 'flat', 'with sidelight' and 'main/dip beam H4'

Very interested in these as the Caterham standard offering is awful and in dip mode verging on dangerous and reminds me that my MOT man is constantly trying to aim their height correctly every year because the dip beam is so rubbish giving confusing results on the beam tester.

Can someone post a direct eBay link to the LED's as I don't have access to the 'book of faces'.

They fit in 5.75" bowl fine. Have used them on day long drives without problems ... always on when I drive. The fan moves air from the lit part of the LED through the finned part of the body. Each is supplied with a fixed flying lead with three connector blades to replicate the original bulb blades. Simply plug this into the original socket in your headlamp. On my sockets, the connectors for the cables are not insulated as it is normally fixed in place away from the outer shell. Simply covered the exposed bits with insulating tape. Keep all other wiring away (below) from the finned body of the LED as it gets hot. Can't post photos here from my phone .... and the camera adjusts for bright lights ... but believe me ... with one super bright halogen H4 bulb fitted and one LED .... there is no comparison. The halogen looks like a candle.

Sm25t, just bought and fitted the bulbs into 7”. Got them though Amazon for quick reliable delivery on Prime. Easy to do, bit of a pull to remove the prong fitting, but a cloth in the hand did the trick, easy to press back over the rubber water seal.

As I was doing it my Seven owning neighbour popped over and told me he’d done similar on a couple of his classics... and when I said I’d take a pic of them 1/2 fitted for comparison said that his vendor had advised not to do that. Dunno why... so I didn’t take a pic. I’d love to see your picture.

• Area Representative

I came to this looking for the Cibie Clear Flat Fronted lens where the beam pattern is determined by the reflector & not the lens, this is much more effective. Look at all new cars.....

What was sent to me was something slightly different, see opening post, however they are way better than the OE lamps that are 1950s 'Tech' & are well worth the modest cost for the massive improvement.