Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anglesey - Group Module Practice Sessions

CheshireCat

It will be interesting to see how this works. It seems like a mini trackday practice session with 15-20 cars on track at one time and overtaking allowed. Not sure of the insurance implications.

I assume the practice sessions apply to everyone including the British Sprint Championship competitors.

This bulletin is circulated to all Competitors, Championship Compilers and Senior Officials. BULLETIN 1

Title

Change of 2017 Supplementary Regulations – 4.3.21

Issued

1200hrs – Wednesday 27th September 2017

Amend

(4.3.21) Practice will be run as a Group Module Practice Session (GMPS).

Reason

More practice track time.

More competitive timed runs.

More track mileage.

Improved value for money.

Background

The speed event principle of two practice and two timed runs has been the norm over many decades, but as costs have risen and entry fees followed, the "value for money" aspect has been eroded.

Longton & District MC has been at the forefront of trying to give competitors as many timed runs as possible - more than most other clubs - and we want to do more.

Part of the problem has been that practice runs take up the morning at most events and do not contribute towards the competition or awards. If we can cut down the time that practice takes and at the same time give drivers more time on track in that period the "value for money" will improve greatly. This in turn gives more time for competitive runs - even greater value!

Our Chairman, Graham Malcolm, has been developing an idea over the last fifteen months and now LDMC has been given MSA approval for a new practice system to be used at our Anglesey Sprint meeting over the weekend of 14th and 15th October 2017.

The GMPS has the full support of the clubs’ committee and officials who wish to continue to give you - the competitors – good full days of motor sport. We also believe that the system will improve the involvement and enthusiasm of the marshals.

BASICS OF GROUP MODULE PRACTICE SESSIONS (GMPS)

1. Practice will be run in groups of vehicles of similar performance.

2. No group is to exceed the MSA race track licence number for each division within that licence. (The group size is expected to be between 15-20 cars).

3. Competitors will be allocated their group identity number by the organisers.

4. Practice will not be timed, and must not be used to determine a running order.

5. The track time for each group on the National Course will be 10 minutes.

6. The track time for each group on the International Course will be 15 minutes.

7. Overtaking is permitted with the overtaking vehicle having to pass ONLY on the left of the slower vehicle.

8. Overtaking is not permitted in the braking zone or on the corners.

9. It is the sole responsibility of the overtaking vehicle driver to ensure that it is 100% safe to do so.

10. Competitors must complete a minimum of two laps.

11. As usual at all LDMC events you will be checked for attendance at the drivers briefing.

12. When practice is finished the normal routine will resume for timed competitive runs.

--------------------------------------------------------------

More track time

More competitive runs

Better value for money

• Support Team

Having no timing for practice makes no sense. The old way of practice at Goodwood was odd enough but at least the first lap was timed. I can see this putting a lot of people off especially those who aren't confident sharing a track with other cars. This changes the whole nature of the event. 

• Support Team

Good point Nigel. Super soft tyres will get wrecked and what about the people on hill climb slicks? The contact issue is also critical. If you crash on a sprint then that's your own lookout but if someone hits you, will the MSA pay? The more I think about this the crazier I think it is - and this from someone who races!

I am sure the change is well intended however, it will not offer quality practice with no timing and laps being compromised by other cars. I have to ask if this idea has been developed over the past 15 months why is the first we hear about it. I have just checked the regulations on the Longton website and there is no mention of this change. The very least I would have expected is for invited clubs and competitors being advised in advance of entering the event. I have not entered however, if I had I would withdraw and certainly will not be entering in other events with practice in this format. If I want track time I enter a track day and in my opinion this change damages the purity of a speed event.

I have emailed LDMC this morning with my concerns and questions and would suggest others to do the same if they have any.

It is late to make such a change and I already have a large financial commitment to the event, accommodation/ trackday etc. if i withdraw.

Change to sprint format - no timing / no practice / build up to timed runs, British Sprint Championship - Are they planning on running a session for them or will they have practice as normal, Potential for accidents / Sprinting is not racing, increased danger and who covering costs, Objective is to have more runs - how many planned , Impact of warm tyres and fuel, The detail - Group selection, change tyres before /after, red / yellow flags, exit / entry on to circuit. 

• Area Representative

I've also just emailed LDMC.

I only entered on Monday evening, but did that based on the original SR's

Whilst I can see what LDMC are trying to do, the proposed changes should have been part of the SR's for this event. I would have read the SR's and said "no thank you", and not entered.

Unfortunately, its not just a case of the cost of the entry. I've had to book time off work, and arrange for a colleague to cover my shifts. I can't easily change that now at such short notice.

I've also arranged accommodation where there is a penalty for cancellation at this late stage.

'feeling very disappointed :-( 

I think Mark D must have been listening to the conversation Shaun and I had about this last night, as he has made many of the same points I made.

After dithering about making a decision, this has pushed me off of the fence. I like sprinting because I like being on the track on my own and testing my own limits, I don't like track days because I worry about other cars being around me and I don't feel confident to deal with them.

LDMC's plan looks solely at the car and gives no consideration to the driver (who is the person paying after all).

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

I'd love to see their risk assessment for the event!

Like Gill I am drawn to sprinting as it allows me to drive on the track without worrying about other cars. It is a test of the driver against the limits of the track. I am not sure if much benefit will be obtained by having a 10 minute track day session looking out for other cars, not to mention the risk of collision and holding up other drivers.

This has been done to try and reduce the time for practice but I am not convinced it will save much time. With a field of nearly 100 they are presumably going to have at least 6 groups. If each group has 10 minutes track time that equates to one hour but there will be gaps when cars are leaving and joining the track and additional time will be needed for breakdowns and offs, not to mention the risk of collisions. I would expect it to take at least one and a half hours and possibly longer.

I was at Goodwood last weekend and, with a field of 100 competitors, we completed the practice and the first timed run before lunch and then had two more timed runs after lunch to finish around 3.30. Perhaps the double lap approach used by Goodwood would give similar time saving. This does gives one timed lap and reduces the overall time.

BULLETIN 2 Title Withdrawal of Bulletin 1 – Group Module Practice Session (GMPS)

Issued 1915hrs – Thursday 28th September 2017  

Notice  As a result of considerable feedback from Bulletin 1, primarily in relation to the short timescale involved and the structure of the GMPS, the Longton & District Motor Club Committee have taken a decision to revert to the standard running of two practice timed runs on both days. Therefore, no change to the SRs will be made.  All competitors are invited to attend a discussion immediately after the prize presentation on Saturday 14th October 2017 to address the Group Module Practice Session (GMPS) format and its possible future use.