Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle clonk when cornering

Mikey UC

Rear live axle clunk when cornering,

I jacked up the rear of the car and felt a clonk and some movement when I pushed and pulled on the wheel so I’m pretty sure it’s the bearing slipping. I also took the wheel off and wiggled the half shaft just to check it wasn’t the bushes.

So I guess the bearing needs to be shimmed or tack welded in place.

Does anyone know the best place to get this done ?

Was wondering how hard it would be pack the bearing out with shims myself ?

Many thanks

Thanks gents

Phoned up the Seven Workshop looks like they know their way around a live axle, waiting for them to call back.

It definitely isn’t the bushes, I took the wheel and brake drum off, the half shaft was able to move while the axle itself remained still.

I've had an Ital axled 7 for 15 years & I've had various half shaft related breakages during that time.

A couple of years ago I fitted Rakeway's axle upgrade kit & I haven't had any further problems. Both the half shafts & the bearings are much heavier duty than the standard items.

Not the cheapest option, but the only solution that works, in my experience.

Nigel.

If it is the half shafts the for a short term fix, then you can consider shimming or tack welding, however as Nigel B says, for long term fix then the Rakeway conversion is ideal.

Well engineered and reasonably straight forward to install.

I tried several "fix's" before the rakeway and had little success.... even ended up swapping the standard half shafts twice as they were bent !!!!

had the rakeway in for a number of years, no leaks, no knocks, no problems....