Click here if you are having website access problems ×

bright lights

Mucus72

I watched an earlier thread with interest, and upgraded my bulbs with some brighter Phillips ones. I rarely drive at night and therefore see them as "as bright as possible" DRLs instead. I have no urge to upgrade the light units.

For the first time in 6 years of Caterham ownership I rocked up at the Leics, Derbys, Notts Area meet yesterday and then drove home in the dark.

Light performance on dipped beam was poor, only acceptable brightness if driving well under 50-60mph.

I then tried main beam for a while, and not one car coming towards me flashed that I was dazzling them.

I wonder if its how low our lights are fitted? I don't really understand. However, the rest of the journey home was comfortable, swift and I could see incredibly well.

I know you have no urge to upgrade, but if you did get the urge ... I swapped my Caterham Wipac lense/reflector units for Cibies. Just a straight drop in replacement. My Goodness what a difference! One of the best upgrades I've done and not expensive.

PS: If had known you were going last night I might have dropped in. In fact you could have picked me up on the way!

Hi Andrew, I'm sorry, I didn't think! I wasn't sure what to expect with an area meet, so I snuck in and didn't broadcast my appearance prior. The chaps there were very welcoming, but it was disappointing from an attendance perspective. In my minds eye, I imagined a car park full of 7's and some magical jamboree, bunting and a brass band playing in the background. I'm a big bunting fan.

In reality 3 cars (one mine), and a harvester style pub with minimal atmosphere. Not complaining, just it rather burst my romantic bubble...

...but my god, aero screen night blat across country was a mega highlight. I do feel comfortable at night, because you can see cars coming towards you with so much more ease. Which means you can press on. I've been eer so slightly modifying my bag seat with some foam inserts to get my upper body in exactly the right position, and I'm nearly there. Just a few tweaks today and I will be back in that womb like position of total connectivity to the car. I achieved that in my old car, but the new build has been more of a struggle because of my seat choice at purchase. Oh and the fact that a metric SV is not as big inside as an imperial one.

Hello Ian. Well they were adjusted pre IVA, so I guess they are OK. I will have to do a more comprehensive test on a straight bit of wide A road. My route back home last night was B road switch back and I only passed a few cars, and at speed. Its possible I was blinding them and they didn't have time to react, or it was borderline too bright, and they weren't sure enough to flash. I take your point. I will make sure I'm not blinding folk. Having said that, in 6 years of Caterham ownership, I've only been out in the dark once or twice. I may report back within the year.

Put the car on flat level ground facing a vertical wall about 2 car lengths away. Measure centre height of headlamp lenses and distance apart. Mark these centres on the wall. On main beam the centre of both 'splodges' of light should be centred on the marks ... so the beams are parallel to the road. On dipped beam, there should be a defined flat top to the beam with angled kick up to the left. The flat top should be a couple of inches below the centreline .... and the start of the angled kick to the left of the centre point of each light. More scientific data and drawings will be found on that Internet thing ... but this is a good starting point.

I think a lot of the problem with Caterham lights is our relationship to them.  In a tin top you are higher relative to the lamps, and look down and along them.  In the seven you look along them. 

Adjust them so the dip is decent, and the main is too high for fast night time driving.  Adjust it for that and the dip is wrong . . .

I've got Wipac Crystal lenses in mine, decent bulbs and they are pretty good.

I think a lot of the problem with Caterham lights is our relationship to them.  In a tin top you are higher relative to the lamps, and look down and along them.  In the seven you look along them. 

I suspect the same. But I don't know why this causes the unpleasant sensation, nor the relative contribution compared to that from poor lights and low lights.

Jonathan

They're the non SVX version, not the same reflector shape as the SVX that Jonathan has pictured which also has a metal reflector surface (quite heavyweight as well).

The lights I am using are The G4's from post #67 in this thread http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-modify-h4-led-to-reduce-glare-this-is-the-one-you-want.1080510/

They need a little fettling to clear casting flash from the fan surround and the 'wings' and rotational position may need a little tweaking to get the best beam pattern but they have been in use in three of my vehicles for over a year now with no failures.

There are some updated versions from Philips that are getting good reports.

https://www.amazon.com/AOSI-PHILIPS-LUMILEDS-Headlight-Highlander/dp/B01HA02O5G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492364543&sr=8-2&keywords=lumileds+h4