Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1400 Supersport Fails MOT Emissions

SMerK

1994 1400 SS with no CAT.

MOT conducted by same sympathetic garage since 2007.  In 2015 started doing in Emissions check.  Passed two years in row.  Failed yesterday CO 0.49 vs 0.35 when warmed up.  HC high at 2338 vs 1200 but the garage expects these to come in to pass if CO sorted.  Correct?

Garage suggested ECU connection and adjustment of set up.   Where is the connection plug to do this?  Is this the way to go?  Is there anything special for 1400SS Caterham or will the garage with no prior experience with one be OK to adjust? Do they need specific instructions / setting info?

But what has changed since last year?  The clutch has been changed by experience mechanic.   Reading some Blat Chat posts is an air leak from exhaust most likely issue?  Anything else that could have been affected?

Side Issue:  The mechanic spotted a short hose from block side of the SS Plenum chamber casting.  It is an open tube.  He thought this strange a tried with it plugged.  Idle fails.  I have never noticed this before.  Is it correct to be there?

Lots of questions above - what I need is to draw up a list of possible causes & to eliminate 1 by one. 

All suggestions appreciated - as always.

Steve

1. What MADMALC says.
  2. Leak, as you say, but what's the best way to find these?
  3. Plugs and air filter.
  4. Do you have an Assembly Guide with the wiring diagram. If you'd like one please send me a Private Mail with your email address.
  5. Can you add a photo of your ECU so that someone can identify it?

Jonathan

Side Issue:  The mechanic spotted a short hose from block side of the SS Plenum chamber casting.  It is an open tube.  He thought this strange a tried with it plugged.  Idle fails.  I have never noticed this before.  Is it correct to be there?

I'm not sure from that description but is that the hose to the charcoal canister? My canister is on the RHS of the engine bay just behind the washer bottle. See Figure 14.5 in the Assembly Guide (or at least some versions of it).

Jonathan

Thanks for fast responses.

- Hot yes but previous years MOT February / cold & yesterday warmed up more than before so this may help but there must be a route cause.

- Car built by CC as Autosport 68 used by the magazine.  Raced til 1999 with various race related rebuilds.  Full chassis rebuild as road car 1999.

- VIN plate was checked yesterday & characters fitted MOT Database 1400 Rover that came up.  6th = K  10th = Q  full string is SDKRDKRRJQ+numbers.

- Have wiring diagram thanks.  But where physically is ECU interface plug & what shape / no of pins am I looking for?

Thanks Steve

I'm not sure from that description but is that the hose to the charcoal canister? My canister is on the RHS of the engine bay just behind the washer bottle. See Figure 14.5 in the Assembly Guide (or at least some versions of it).

The LH (rear) tube goes to the fuel trap on bulkhead.  The RH (front) tube is 20mm long & open - is this OK?

OpenTube.PNG.35cc946db84d85311eccb4d21c7015d4.PNG

Thanks for posting up the VIN -- SDKRDKRRJQ....

The good news is that your car does not need to undergo MOT emissions testing at all, just a visual smoke test.

VIN #6 (K) means that the car is recorded as "Kit-built" (irrespective of the Autosport connection)

VIN #10 (Q) indicates the year of manufacture (1994)

(Explanation of chassis numbers)

I suggest you refer your MOT tester to this DVSA guide -- in particular, page 19 which states:

CATERHAM CARS
The VIN Code consists of the 6th, 8th and 9th digit of the VIN number. Where the 10th digit of the VIN is equal to or less than 'W' and the 6th digit is 'C' or 'K', the vehicle concerned should be considered as 'amateur built' and as such should receive a visual smoke test only.

ETA: And in case he's not convinced by that, refer him to Section 7.3, Page 6 of the MOT Inspection Manual, which states:

For emissions purposes only, kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998 and Wankel rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987 are to be considered as first used before 1 August 1975.

JV

On my car that tube on the side of the inlet plenum has a short hose which connects int th cam cover.

on your photo it doesn't look as if your car has the cam cover fitting?

I agree with John Vine  re visible smoke .......but it must have been amateur built and registered for the road before August 98. So if it was only ever a race car and not road legal until 99 that's where they have got you.

John.

.....but it must have been amateur built and registered for the road before August 98.

Ah...now that is a very good point, which I fear may fatally undermine my earlier advice!

The DVSA document states (my bolding):

The emissions test to which a vehicle is subject will depend upon its date of first use (i.e. date of registration or date of manufacture if used abroad before first registration in the UK) as follows:

• For vehicles first used before 1 August 1975 a visual test will be applied.
  • For vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1975 a metered test will be applied.

So, what was the date of first registration?  Even if it was indeed in 1999, I feel the OP may still have a strong case for requesting just a visual smoke test based on the kit-built status and the date of manufacture  Both the Section 7.3 flowchart exception and the DVSA guidance for Caterhams would support this.  Maybe it would be a good idea to ask DVSA for clarification?

JV

John

Emissions looking +ve!  Will talk to garage.

Did not think you meant the Plug Cover... thought you meant No Cam cover!  Have now understood your comment.  Cam cover in place as it always has been... must be photo angle?

On google images I have seen a pipe connected on another 1400SS that goes forward under the nose cone?....

For info mines a 1993 1400 Supersport on 1997 plates (was initial used as a Silverstone track day car before being registered in 1997) and I've always managed to convince MOT stations that its a visual smoke test only due to the VIN number.

This would seem to be the best course of action