Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Socket to remove spark plugs - EU3 K-series

AntonyH

My Halfords socket set contains a pair of what it claims are spark plug removal sockets.

However, having tried to use these yesterday it appears that the tops of my plugs are somewhat taller than the socket recess is deep - as far as I could feel, the socket was resting on the top of the plug and just spinning round, having failed to reach and engage with the 'nut' faces of the plug.

This is not helped by the fact that on an EU3 K-series the plugs are so far down into the block that you need a significant extension bar and also have no hope of actually seeing what you're doing, so there's a bit of guesswork here.

I'm therefore after recommendations of a spark plug removal socket that actually works...

Thanks all.

Paul, I will recheck the socket - you may be correct; I didn't want to lean on it too firmly and potentially damage the plug, given I've not removed them before.

Having done some googling, I'm thinking that a much longer, magnetic, variant may be better (as Mark mentions), given the added complexity of the hole depth to the plug. With my socket set, just reaching the damn things meant putting the supplied extension bar *and* the UJ piece onto the ratchet, as the extension wasn't long enough on its own. This, obviously, leaves three connections between pieces, i.e. more points of potential disconnection, and is rather clumsy.

*thumb_up*

Dear Antony H

I have just gone down to garage and have my K series plug spanner on the desk.  Hope this helps.  It ia exactly 12inches long and stamped "Halfords 10 mm"  It is round section all the way down to the bottom 1  inch which is pressed into 6 sided shape to fit the plug. Inside about 1 inch inside from the end is a rubber insert which grabbs the white part of the plug so that when you undo it it grips the plug and lifts it out.. You just drop the whole thing down the hole and when it stops push down a bit more and you will feel that the insert is gripping the white part of the plug. wiggle a bit so that the 6 sided bit slides down and grips the plug.   Have you checked that you can see the top of the plug down the hole and there is nothing else down there !! It should be very visible. If you have been screwing it round without the contacting the plug properly you might have unscrewed the little sleeve that is on the top of the plug and this has dropped down and is preventing the spanner locating.. Providing you haven't jammed it tight against the plug and the side you should be able get it out with some bluetack on the end of something long and thin.

As previously said spraying WD40 down the holes and leaving overnight helps a lot.

H Robinson     Hove  2003 140 BHP Xpower SV 53,000 miles.