Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bleeding Brakes

alan c

Sorry had some IT issues and not been able to post for 24 hours.

To answer an earlier question I am using Mobil 1 DOT 4 fluid and it is all new unused and purchased very recently so I hope the quality of the fluid is not an issue. 

I am not ultra impressed with the bleed nipples on the front calipers so perhaps some sealer on the thread may help but will that make any difference if there is no leak once they have been done up.

I don't have a vacuum bleeder but I will ask at work - we have a few useful brands in our portfolio - and if I can borrow one I will. We have a nice digital pressure system but it's very expensive and we don't have a demo one to hand where I am that I can borrow.

I plan to talk to Redline about new seals for the master cylinder. Looking at the Caterham web site I think I have the standard one not the unrated AP one but it's not clear and my car was built in 93 so parts have changed a little since then.

If I do get new seals how easy is it to replace them? Based in my performance so far it needs to be simple.

The Uprated MC has a red cable tie around it, of course that may of been cut off. There is an identification code on the MC body as well. The early Uprated MC reservoir mount was different from standard. If you decide your MC is at fault my advice would be buy the Uprated one seeing as you have the Uprated calipers. Redline don't or didn't when I asked (2016) provide the repair kit for the Uprated version, that is sourced via a motorsport team in North Wales of which the name I can't quite remember! 

• 2 years later...

None of these posts addresses how to bleed brakes with two separate master brake cylinders, one for the front brakes, the other for the rear brakes, obviously activated by the single brake pedal. If bleeding one, how is the pressure in the other closed system compensated?

• Area Representative

None of these posts addresses how to bleed brakes with two separate master brake cylinders, one for the front brakes, the other for the rear brakes, obviously activated by the single brake pedal.

Vintageant,

That will be because most Caterhams only have one brake master cylinder!

I use a pressure bleeder, bleeding each circuit individually.