Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Checking gearbox oil on a S3 five speed box

Logan Colbeck

I am forcing myself to complete this task after putting it off for six months now. The car has done 6700miles and was first registered in May 2015. I have followed the GTKY7 advice, but the modified 10mm tool defeats me when attempting to engage the plug. Other than abandoning the task, has anyone a successful method for this?

Thank you in advance,

Logan

You're trying with a cut down hex bar in a wrench? And it won't go in the recess in the plug head? Or goes in but won't turn the plug?

I'd try another section of hex bar. And if that didn't work I'd cut a hole through the side of the tunnel to improve access and see why it isn't working. Some choose to do that anyway.

Maintenance notes from Alcester Racing Sevens.

Jonathan

PS: Where are you?

It sounds like you've heard the usual advice. Which box do you have?

With the old type 9 it's a fiddle and I always end with oil running down my arm, but it isn't impossible if you have the car supported high enough. The Mazda box is apparently tighter in the transmission tunnel. 

Duncan

Hello Jonathan,

I am in Alton, Hants. I have tried using a cut down key as recommended in the GT KY7, but not with a wrench. I wondered about drilling through the tunnel side, but there is a chassis member in the direct line of sight! 

Many thanks for your swift reply!

Logan.

I cut down a hex key to make a straight section. Then use a ratchet wrench to turn it.

But beware: the first time I used the sort of wrench that you put on the other way to ratchet the other way. The plug unscrewed, followed by a large amount of oil. At which point I tried to screw the plug back in so that I could get a container but the ratchet stopped this when the wrench met the chassis, at which point the plug had withdrawn enough to stop me getting the wrench off the end of the bar! Not quite in the canoe league but funny... in hindsight. If it had happened to someone else.

Now I use the type of wrench that has a little lever that you flick to turn the other way.

Jonathan

Is the gearbox central in the chassis?

If not, loosen off the engine and gearbox mountings to push the box over to give yourself a little more room.

Once out it is a good idea to Araldite a short section of hex key into the plug for future use.

I followed Guy Lowe's suggestion and fitted a port that lets me use a dipstick.  If it needs topping up then simply pour in more oil.

GearboxOilLevel.jpg.c21f47feb97245491cebfbeb711778a0.jpg

GearboxOilLevel2.jpg.33161b835e018122e337a5773d826a1c.jpg

GearboxOilLevelParts.jpg.2b0dccd8c1c5026ae47b6c24167f9ae5.jpg

The olive is not used, the nut is simply to hold the coupler in place. (The black circle is the rubber seal that fits inside the cap.)

GearboxOilLevelParts2.jpg.bd32d5409197097b2d48517184c6e17e.jpg

I used a knitting needle as a dipstick, I just cut the point off and then put a mark on it at the correct level.

You can get the cover off the gearbox while it's still in the car.

If you haven't had the cover off for a while ..... the paper gasket can stick to the top of the box or the underside of the cover. May need to peel or scrape any remains off carefully. Tip from Phil at R&R when I removed mine was to smear a little silicone sealant on one side only of the gasket and adhere it to the cover. Then smear a little grease to the underside when you refit the cover. This should help stop the gasket from adhering to the box next time.

I've a 2016 S3 with 5 speed Mazda box.  The Manual and GTY are not up to date and you may find your car is similar to mine. Firstly, if you climb headfirst into the passenger foot well, and peel back the carpet, you may find a large blanking grommet that lines up with the gearbox level plug.  On my box the level plug is not a recessed hex, it is a square end section that sits proud of the gearbox casing and an appropriately sized socket should do the job from the footwell.

Directly below the level plug is a hex bolt that goes into the casing.  Don't touch that bolt.  Also, the gearbox turret can need topping up separately, this is done by removing the gearstick.