Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2017 Track day programme - All events completed - Updated status as of 14th October 2017

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

We’re delighted to announce a preliminary schedule for our proposed 2017 Club track day programme which reflects an increase in the number, geographical coverage and type of events when compared with 2016. 

We trust that there will be something here for everyone – of all levels of ability and experience – and we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at these events through the coming year.

James and Dave

Joint Track Day Coordinators

General Notes:

All dates must be treated as provisional and subject to change until otherwise confirmed.

As events become available to book, confirmation of dates, together with further details (including pricing and instructions on how to book) will be published in due course on the Club’s web site and in Low Flying.  Please note that booking for all Club-exclusive track days will be through the Club’s web site.

Participation in Club-exclusive events (whether full-days or sessions purchased by the Club from a third party for the benefit of members) will be subject to the Club’s normal requirements for indemnification, minimum age, vehicle preparation and driving qualifications.

Track days starting in sessions and moving to OPL are suited to participants of all ability and experience levels, as are full days that operate purely as OPL.  Events that offer only a single 20 minute session in OPL format are perhaps better suited to drivers who have at least some previous track driving experience.

Wherever possible, and particularly where we are operating Club-exclusive full-day events, we will be including free instruction, our ‘buddy system’ of support for newcomers, an appropriate pre-event social get-together and a continuation of support (and ‘hot laps’) from Caterham Cars.

• Leadership Team

Status as of 14th October 2017

27th March – Silverstone GP - Completed:
Club-exclusive session (1 x twenty minute session per hour) in OPL format on a day being organised by MGoT.

5th May – Blyton Park - double-header part 1 - Novices Day - Completed
Club-exclusive day specifically for newcomers and novices (2016 ‘Introduction Day’ at Donington Park costs will be an allowed deduction)

6th May – Blyton Park - double-header part 2 - Full Club track day - Completed
Club-exclusive day, starting in sessions and moving to OPL.  Open to drivers of all experience and ability levels, including newcomers and novices.

23rd May – Oulton Park - Completed:
Club-exclusive session (1 x twenty minute session per hour) in OPL format.  Links to the booking form and other documents are contained in the specific entry in the track day section of BlatChat or through the "What's On" calendar entry.  A booking form was also included in the April edition of Lowflying.

30th June – Cadwell Park - Completed
Club-exclusive day, starting in sessions and moving to OPL

The event is closing for booking at 9.00am on Friday 23rd June.  Links to the booking form and other documents are contained in the specific entry in the track day section of BlatChat or through the "What's On" calendar entry.  The pre-event social get-together will be a hog-roast in the Cadwell Park paddock and Clubhouse area on the evening of Thursday 29th June.  A booking form was included in the May edition of Lowflying.

11th July – Donington Park GP Circuit - Completed
A 'Caterham's-only' track day that is positioned as an extension to the 60th Anniversary Celebrations and will be operated by BookaTrack, in OPL format and without noise restrictions.

Club members who took advantage of the early-booking offer will also enjoy further benefits including free garaging and the provision of instruction on a first-come, first-served basis. 

21st August – Brands Hatch GP Circuit - Completed
Club-exclusive session (1 x twenty minute session per hour) in OPL format.

Links to the booking form, our online booking facility and other documents are contained in the specific entry in the track day section of BlatChat or through the "What's On" calendar entry.  A booking form will also be included in the July edition of Lowflying.

13th October – Anglesey - Completed
Club-exclusive sessions (2 x twenty minute sessions per hour), starting in groups according to ability and experience then moving to OPL, on a day being organised by the Club and with MGoT taking the remaining twenty minute session per hour.

Links to the booking form, our online booking facility and other documents are contained in the specific entry in the track day section of BlatChat or through the "What's On" calendar entry.  A booking form is also included in the August edition of Lowflying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Leadership Team

The MSV site helpfully lists noise limits for all of their circuits. 

For the Brands Hatch GP Circuit (daytime use) the static-test limit is 101dB(A).  There is also a 92dB(A) drive-by limit which is measured at a distance of 20m.

This is the same limit as in previous years; I am not aware of members having a problem there, for instance when we visited Brands last May.

James

• 5 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

Hi Tom

Not for some weeks yet; I'm about to release Cadwell Park (yay!!) in the next few days and I want to wait until we've completed a few of the upcoming events before launching another one.  Given that Brands is scheduled for 21st August, I will probably be aiming for mid June (giving two months plus leadtime) but if time permits I may beat this target.

We're planning to allow around 45 or so participants so there should be plenty of space for everyone who wants to come and books within the first few weeks of the event being released.

James

• 5 months later...
  • Leadership Team

Just tidied-up this thread to reflect the conclusion of the 2017 season.  Eight events in total, and whilst I need to find some time to look at the stats, I'd guess that we have had more than 200 individual members taking place in events through the year.  It does now feel as though Club track days are firmly on their way to re-instatement as a core Club activity!

Thank you from myself and Dave to everyone who has taken part on track and at the pre-event socials, for the considerate behaviour and great driving standards whilst on circuit and, in general, for helping to make the programme safe, fun and enjoyable for all participants.

Here's to 2018 - we're planning to have the programme announced in December.

James and Dave

Congratulations both  - you put on fantastic programme and have well and truly put track days back on our Club map!  It must have been a huge amount of work and it's greatly appreciated by us all.

As for next year, you've set the bar very high with such a great list of circuits this year!  Any chance of working Snetterton in for 2018 (and maybe Croft?).  I'm sure others will have their own preferences and suggestions too..but really I think we're all happy to go with whatever you can achieve..

May I make another couple of requests?  First, I'm hoping you'll keep a very keen eye on pricing next year (there are a lot of other track day operators out there running great events at great prices) especially where the day is sessioned rather than open pit lane. (The Club session at Oulton Park this year was way, way above the going rate - although, to be fair,  Brands GP was spot on.)

And second, if it's an OPL day that starts out with sessions, it would be good to have some clarity in advance about how much OPL time there'll actually be.  Cadwell Park's event this year was billed and priced as OPL, but in the event ran in sessions from 9-4pm. This significant limit on track time suited the vocal minority of first timers there, but didn't please all! 

And of course I know you'll never please all. The more experienced members tend to prefer OPL events, which are much more relaxed (with no queuing) and have the possibility of unlimited track time, and they are more likely to notice if the pricing levels are above the going rate . The less experienced, however, are probably less price sensitive and more attracted to sessions.  The third category are those members - sadly the majority - who've not yet ventured on track at all.  You've definitely started to attract some of them now with your excellent programme and strong welcoming messages, but I fear the dreaded FIA bar rule still prevents most of them from putting a toe in the water.  But I'm definitely not going to mention that...

Many thanks again

Stephen *byebye*