Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hard shoulder M25

Martin J

Cheers Martin,

My tyre decided to rip off the rear wheel! It happened where there was no hard shoulder so they closed the M25 for little old me for recovery. It took four and a half hours to finally get picked up!

A very kind man called Brian (ex R500 owner) stopped and offered his assistance. He explained he had just flown over Russia in a paramotor and was on his way home. He even offered me a cup of tea!

Apologies to anyone caught in the closer of the M25 that day.

Doug

I'm pretty sure the cars bodywork was OK, however the wheel is probably has damaged after I was dragged 500yds by the highways agency to a safe area. I was on my way to Caterham so I just left the car with them and I'm awaiting the verdict.

GJT, it sounds like exactly the same experience, I heard a strange noise and a wobble then the tyre tread split from the side walls within seconds. Considering I was traveling at about 60mph the cars handling was very good and I didn't feel out of control at any time.

The worst thing was having to stop where there was only half a hard should and then trying to exit the car with trucks bearing down on me. I then spent a good 30min waving at the 'half a sleep' truck drivers to stop them hitting the car. I lost count of how many near misses there were. Scary stuff.

Doug

I have often thought that with the refuge areas so far apart, you are very vulnerable if you should break down. 

Grief, that was scary stuff trying to catch the attention of truck drivers. 

Makes me realise I should always keep a Hi Viz jacket in the boot of the caterham & not just when we drive on the continent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The picture looks identical to how my tyre looked after the event, except mine was a CR500 that had covered about 6,500 miles. I am still putting it down to a rapid puncture picked up on the motorway.

Check out this months Low Flying. *wink*

Doug

• Area Representative

The worst thing was having to stop where there was only half a hard should and then trying to exit the car with trucks bearing down on me. I then spent a good 30min waving at the 'half a sleep' truck drivers to stop them hitting the car. I lost count of how many near misses there were. Scary stuff.

Smart motorways are suposed to be safer.....my ar53 they are!

Best practice is to have a Hi-Viz jacket for you and your passenger in the car and within easy reach.

The last thing you want in such a situation is to be fumbling around at the rear of your Seven, undoing poppers and trying to find the Hi-Viz jackets in the boot - while being totally unaware of what's occurring behind you!

In most European countries it is an offence to get out of your car or off your motorcycle on a motorway without wearing a Hi-Viz jacket. Even if you're not wearing it and it's in your hand, at least there is more chance of other road users seeing you much sooner.

I had the front N/S wheel come off my Seven on the M25 on a Friday 5pm, Lane 3 at 70mph... so I know the hard shoulder is a very scary place!

Doug Tulloch

In most European countries it is an offence to get out of your car or off your motorcycle on a motorway without wearing a Hi-Viz jacket. Even if you're not wearing it and it's in your hand, at least there is more chance of other road users seeing you much sooner.

Whilst we all know that it technically correct, when we broke down in Andorra on a dual carriageway there wasn't a hard shoulder but just enough room to pull over but still that left the offside wheels in the inside lane. Although both Hi-Vis tabards were within each reach under my seat the time taken to extract and put on in the 7 would have meant a far longer stay in the car that we felt was safe. So we just hopped out of the 7 pronto, hopped over the barrier and then put the Hi-Vis on. I think I would do that every time....

Yes, I agree, I would take the same action you did, but...

"Whilst we all know that it's technically correct"

Not in my experience. One comment on this thread clearly proves my point.

I've even been asked by club members "Why do you have your Hi-Viz jacket in the pocket of your tunnel bag?"

I agree that the priority is to get out off the car and to a place of safety with the greatest sense of urgency and to be aware of all your surroundings.

But the point I was trying to make with my comment "Even if you're not wearing it and it's in your hand, at least there is more chance of other road users seeing you much sooner.” was -

If your Hi-Viz jacket is in your hand (probably flapping in the wind) as you exit the car you will be more visible to oncoming traffic than without it.

A Hi-Viz jacket is of little or no use lost in the boot of your car. 

Doug 

I have my hi vis vests in a net side pocket, as it's required for continental travel and needs to be accessible from within the vehicle. 

Thinking back, when I broke down on the M25, at night, I completely forgot about wearing one, I was in an escape lay by on a predominately 4 lane section with no hard shoulder.

Thanks for a timely reminder. I have no idea why I shouldn't have thought it would be safer to put it on, even if not required under U.K. law.

Thanks for the effort of writing the article for Low Flying. One thing I noticed from your photos that you were positioned downstream of the traffic flow.  Its always best to stand up flow of the broken down car incase one of the aforementioned sleeping lorry drivers swipes you car and it runs you over!  

I don't carry a spare wheel - aside from RAC, not much I could do in that sort of event.  

One thing I noticed from your photos that you were positioned downstream of the traffic flow.  Its always best to stand up flow of the broken down car incase one of the aforementioned sleeping lorry drivers swipes you car and it runs you over!

Wise advice indeed and I whole heartedly agree with you. What the pictures do not show you is the huge concrete block that formed the foundation of an overhead gantry.  I only stepped out from behind this to take the pictures and to warn on coming traffic. 

Many thanks for all the comments on my 'incident' there has been some really useful advice that I'm sure many of us have taken on board. Keeping the Hi-Viz jacket in the car rather than in the boot is a must.

Doug 

• Area Representative

And avoid the motorway where ever possible!

I take your point but...

Of all motorways, the M25 is one of the most difficult to avoid using.  From Essex to Crawley not using the Dartford Crossing is just about absurd and suddenly you will be swept along the motorway. From my location in Berkhamsted to friends near Caterham alternative routes would double the driving time (probably) and hard to navigate.

That is both the blessing and the curse of the M25.