Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen replacement... How difficult?

Stridey

just done a few searches...but how difficult is windscreen replacement? I've sourced a new, non heated one to replace chipped heated one. Plan is to remove glass, take frame to friendly local polisher to spruce frame up, then replace glass.

Is removal of glass easy? (I know frame with glass is a doodle)

Is replacement a job I should give to a glacier/ windscreen company for peace of mind? 

Hi

I tried this once and found it was not easy to get the glass with the rubber surround back into the frame.  Removal of frame from car and old glass from frame is ok. It was a while ago now and it felt like the seal was a little too thick but entirely possible it was operator error.

I have a new unheated glass on order with Pilkington glass. They have a classic car glass department 

mailto:Classics@pilkington.com.  

£261 inc delivery. Mine is for my s3, they have other sizes. 8 weeks delivery, hope to have it by Christmas. 

I have a temporary polycarbonate screen but it is very soft and scratches even when gently wiped with a soft damp cloth. 

I can change the glass for you - it's £130 fitted in your existing screen using new rubbers.  This is unheated glass and I can normally turn this around in about a week.

I'm located near Stansted airport (15 mins)

i can also get windscreen surrounds bead blasted and powder coated for additional charge.

PM me and we can go from there.