Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trolley jacks

Douglas Thomson

Hi,

Very basic question.

I want a trolley jack that is long reach and low profile.

It needs to lift to at least 45cm to get the Supersport up on its axle stands.

The main problem is that most jacks are about 14cm high so when I lower the front of the car it lands on the jack.

I need one with about 40 cm of low profile reach.

I don't want to pay a fortune.

What kind does everybody else use?

Douglas

I use a Clarke 1.5 T low level jack ctj1500QULP quick lift non marking wheels £170 ish look out for vat free days . I've had it for some time not let me down, pardon the pun it lifts my Hilux and fits under the seven

I have a Halfords low profile trolley jack.  Its fine under my Supersport with a block of wood on the pad as well. But this is my second one as the first had an internal leak which allowed the jack to go down over an hour, the replacement is doing the same so beware. They are guaranteed for a year though.

Hmm - shouldn't be holding the car up for an hour.  Jack up, support on stands, woods, spare wheels straight away, never bricks or concrete, lower jack away.

Alwasy store mine lowered too - both were 20 quid purchases from Unipart stores when I was 18/19 - and 27 yrs later, they still work fine.

I went for this one:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tja125-aluminium-trolley-jack

And a pair of their stands, and the rubber tops for the stands too, to protect the chassis.

Its narrow enough and low enough to go under the front with thh nose fitted, jack on heh cruciform and get 2 stands either side while still being able to get the jack out (Roller at the front end rather than wheels on the side)

Its showing out of stock sadly but will probably be back in soon

These are the rubber stand tops:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/rpjsr-rubber-axle-stands-pad

Tigerseal / sikaflex them on to the stands and protect your car too

I use a Kraftwerk

15 Art. 38102 2 T Extra low profile long floor jack, long model, with 6 wheels, quick lift pedal and rubber saddle

allows for my excessively low rear exhaust and lifts my Mondeo.

KraftwerkJack2.jpg.a1579ef786d7726425efce5e685b3a71.jpg

The above may appear to be touching the silencer, but it is not.

the above and below images show DURING lift, the clearance is maybe two inches making the usual 4 inches seem comfortable.

xlarge_KraftwerkJack.jpg.1e3c797915db3369bd8b6382cabb6ace.jpg

here we are, showing ground clearance, or lack of when in the down position:

7JackVLow_movDOWN.jpg.6c1088e341345118f9b1f6aac970193b.jpg

just posting this for future reference as UK cars won't need such a low profile not being required to suffer these daft rear silencers. It's not cheap. Of course - and now megabucks plus since the pound took a Brexit dive.

Based on the next comment (so this is an edit!) the issue at the rear with a rear silencer, is the length of the jack's low entry arm and whether it hits the main body as the car is raised. This was why my hopes were raised and dashed a few times until I found this one. I think also the profile of the raising movement.... it is depressing to get the jack in place and then find as one raises it that it (the silencer) hits the main body of the jack.

Car is an S3. I should mention this is not an approved jacking point afaiui

in fact the soft pawn tool book is here:

http://www.kraftwerk.eu/2010/documents/Automotive-Promo_2013-3_KW_EXPORT_LOW.pdf

I use a Clarke CTJ1250AB 1.25 Tonne Aluminium Racing Jack, around £100ish, max lift is 37.5cm, not had any clearance issues but having just measured it the main body does indeed stand 14cm tall but there is 3cm clearance under the nosecone (for reference my K sump is 8cm off the ground). I took the carry handles off mine as it was a bit tight fitting between axle stands if you used a pair at the front of the car.