Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shopping car pulling to left

charlie_pank

Things we have done so far (still pulling to the left, just the same):

replaced (bent) subframe and lower wishbone - we suspect they were bent when I popped a tyre in a pothole a little while ago

checked alignment

corrected caster

Swapped wheels around front --> back

Things we are going to try:

jack up both sides at front and run engine to check for faulty power steering

jack up and spin wheels to check for bearing failure or brake drag

Any other suggestions?

It was brake drag on one of our tintops a few years ago: left disc hotter than right; replaced caliper, job done.  The difference in disc temperatures was very noticeable, so if one's not hotter than the other, it's probably not that.  Good luck.

the plot thickens: the steering wheel gets turned 90 degrees to the left when going forwards just a few yards and about the same to the right when going backwards. I think therefore it can't be the power-steering. This behaviour is consistent with either the front left bearing or brake dragging. Any other ideas?

'the steering wheel gets turned 90 degrees to the left when going forwards just a few yards and about the same to the right when going backwards'

This sounds like a broken/lose/bent track control arm. There may also be a problem in the rack that you can not see where something is again broken/lose/bent.

Do you mean the steering arm? I thought the track control arm refers to the lower chassis -> upgright link. In the case of my car it's wishbones top and bottom. The lower wishbone was replaced along with the subframe.

It could be the steering arm, or something in the rack. It would be likely to introduce some play in the steering though, would it not?

Hi C,

If there is no drag on the wheel rotation to cause the steering to turn so quickly then my, admittedly, limited common sense says something is broken/lose. When you go forward the steering angle is changed one way and when you go back the natural forces exerted on the steering send it back. Can you get under the car while someone pushes the car back and forward with you holding and feeling each joint in the steering and suspension in turn?

love m

Me again. Another thought. If the 'king pin' or macpherson strut is bent then as it rotates between the top swivel point and the bottom swivel point the hub would not rotate evenly about the axis and thus cause uneven/different steering compared to the other side.

Sorry if not explaining very well, blatmail me if you need more.

l m

... the steering wheel gets turned 90 degrees to the left when going forwards just a few yards and about the same to the right when going backwards.

...alignment all checked, nothing wrong. Swapped driver's side wheels front-to-back... CURED!

What did you conclude was the cause?

Jonathan