Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Must Have" Safety Upgrades

JosephClarke

Thanks, am used to rear wheel drive my "fun" car for the last 8 years has been an 89 MX5 which I drove for 5 years as a daily driver in all weather so used to no ABS traction etc in the wet.

Of course the MX5 had no where near the power to weight ratio of the 7.

Id love to get on either a track day or some driver training in the car soon, i really want to feel what the car is like at the limit in the dry as, as yu say it will allow me to have a much better feel for it on the road.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a slalom and a drift day before picking up my car, gave me extra confidence and also realised I'd prefer to use someone else's car.

Not fussed about track days, (can't see the point of 'not' racing) but I get my race thrills elsewhere on planks of wood (skateboards)

i regard my Cat as a fast cruiser, hence the leather seats, leather tunnel, spare wheel etc. But boy is it good in corners, twisties and b roads. It'll cruise at 70, I'm happy. It's also fast.

I had mine painted a Morgan colour (Connaught green), which appeals to my sense of humour, 

I like Morgans, a friend has one, a 4/4... Which since I got my Caterham he is planning to sell and do a racier 2 seater version Morgan.... Who knows, perhaps he'll get a Caterham instead. I'll try....

I do feel Morgan's are a bit ' flat hat' for me though.

Hellooo glad I'm not the only one who sees the car in this way, I love the spare wheel for the way it looks, love to see some pictures of the car in that color, out of interest do you prefer the old larger further back caterham headlights or the newer low down smaller headlights, from what I can tell I am the only person who seems to prefere the older chrome large highup headlights. To me they just scream Caterham where as the new lower ones do not.

Also I know what you mean regarding flat caps, I see the caterham as the younger alternative :D

I fitted a pair of the CBS mirrors referred to above.  They're very good indeed, with a wide field of view and rock steady. The only drawback is that, being bolted to the screen stanchion, they prevent the door from opening fully.  This doesn't bother me at all, but might some people.  You'll need to drill and tap the stanchion for the M6 bolts.

There was a recent mirror discussion here.   See post #23 for my comments re fitting the CBS jobbies.

JV

• Area Representative

Is there any possibility of fitting the CBS mirrors to the door like the Caterham supplied version, or is the mounting bracket the wrong way round i.e. has to be vertical?

Iain

Yes, there is, as the mirror head can be rotated and the arm is adjustable, although the bracket holes are much closer together (40mm centres, I think).  But I suspect you'd end up with something that's worse, vibration-wise, than the original set-up as the mirror would be quite a bit further away from the door.  If you want to continue using a door-mounted mirror, probably the best bet would be to go for a convex head to attach to the existing mount.

JV

Thanks will look into them, the car came with two sets of mirrors, one set on the doors which I have been using, don't mind these but they do vibrate alot and another set im not sure what to do with, they look like they have turned metal brackets I assume they mount to the screen in some way.

Couple of random thoughts:

- Have recently moved away from the newer clear rear indicators with orange bulbs due to complaints people couldn't see them.

- On longer trips I personally use earplugs plus noise cancelling headphones (if on my own) or a headphones based intercom (if with passenger).

- Fluorescent tape on top of the rollbar can help people see you (as does driving a bright red car with checquered black and white front wings...).

- My car runs a rear Freestyle rear diffuser. I like the look, believe it makes a difference (others may disagree...) and it helps protect the underside of the fuel tank too. Previously I glassfibred the old steel tank - a messy job but it used to be recommended by the MSA and it proved its worth when the tank was made banana shaped after a high speed impact, and didn't leak.

- Would second what others have said about driving tuition. Improving observation, anticipation and smoothness all make sense. Tuition can also help attitude - looking to drive more professionally and defensively and less aggressively (we all deny it; we all do it...). Most people are very pleased to see a 7 so a friendly wave as you overtake is always welcomed, while if someone wants to show you they are a faster/better driver than you or that their car/bike is faster - let them. A skid course is useful - at some time you will lose the back of the car (especially in the wet) or lock up under braking - neither are an issue if you are well practiced at recognising them, knowing what caused them and then take the appropriate action smoothly and without panicking.

IMHO a good 7er can drive fast but never hurries, is scrupulously polite to other road users (knight of the road and all that) and enjoys their car and their driving - as should their passengers. And yup, I'm sure I'm as bad as anyone else at keeping to that!

Enjoy!

Andy

Both Ian!

I use a metallic strip thingy I think is designed for cyclists. It wraps round the bar and is reflective and i about an inch wide. You could use tape instead (again bicycle shops I think). Think you only need a couple of strips as you're looking to give a visual indication that there's something there rather than showing the whole width of the car or the rollbar if that makes sense.

Andy

Think you only need a couple of strips as you're looking to give a visual indication that there's something there rather than showing the whole width of the car or the rollbar if that makes sense.

It might. You need to get an attention-grabbing image into the threat's mind (as opposed to simply a lot of light into their eyes). So looking big and either like a car or like something strange could work in theory.

I recently posted some photos of the 3M tape that looks black but reflects moderately, but I can't find them.

Jonathan

3m diamond grade red tape is great on the rear of the roll bar. Those following us at night say it is brighter than the tail lights. CBS mirrors ..... Fit to stanchions ..... rick steady .... even at high speeds. No, you can't open the doors on to the bonnet any more. Get used to it. I prefer safer visibility.

I'm not convinced that a fixed harness is better than inertia reel in a road car with padded clothes and seats. Tillets, thin clothing  and someone that can be ars*d with loosening and tightening the straps every time they stop the harness is easily the best but for me (leather seats, padded jacket, get in the car 20-30 times a week) inertia probably works out best. I suppose the question for an expert would be is a loose harness better than inertia reel?

I think reflective tape needs to reflect white to the front and red to the rear to be legal.

The safety upgrades I have done are Phillips Xtreme headlight bulbs, Bacofoil in rear lights, CBS much louder horn, front Mintex 1144 pads, a couple of small plastic CBS reflectors on the back, Softbits draught excluder (acts as headlight in mirror dimmer), satnav even when I think I know the way as it gives a good idea of tightness of upcoming bends and CBS high-level LED brake light.

Thanks for all the advice, have really enjoyed reading through all the posts, plenty to be getting on with.

I am now fully equipped with some bolle safety specs, (bargain from screwfix) and some ear plugs, high level brake light is on and gonn to look at the reflective tape.

Other than happy with how it's set up time to enjoy the car.

Hoping to get some handling day esk session booked soon either trough the club or privately if the times do not work.

Going to look into the side impact bars a bit more to understnad pro's and con's and will get a new roll bar when funds allow.

My ARDS instructor pal is Ipswich-based and we've got some good venues and public roads not too far away from us in this part of the world. Drop him a line as he loves going out in Caterhams, providing it isn't chucking it down with rain!

http://www.safelyfast.co.uk/

I've got a PM session at the club's Dunsfold Handling Day that might be up for grabs as I may now have other commitments.