Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine won't rev beyond 6400rpm

PC Pete

R400 coming up 3 years old. 2500 miles on the clock (yes - I know I should get out a bit more!)

Engine has been fine following issues with start up when first built (a problem in the engine wiring loom).

PH Sunday service at Silverstone last October - on track it was fine for a while but then behaved as if the rev limiter cut in at 6400. It is normally around 7200 I think. Change up lights all flashing like mad at 6400, but I have never had much faith in the way they were set up from day 1.

Out for the first time this year today - same issue and absolutely consistent - 6400 revs and no more. Plugs out and look good, nothing obvious around the engine area.

Anyone had the same experience? Any ideas of how to solve it?

And since Caterham Midlands has closed I'm wondering where to go for servicing, bits etc....

Many thanks

Peter

No idea if rhe Duratec is the same but ... on the K Series VVC, various different sensor failures put it into different "limp modes", each with a different and lower than normal rev limit. It sounds a bit as though your ECU may have detected a problem and gone into limited operation mode to protect the engine. If you can plug in an OBDII scanner it may well tell you what is wrong.

• Area Representative

The flashing change up lights may point elsewhere but when I had similar symptoms, it was due to the air intake on my carbs being partially blocked.

Thanks Revilla

strange you should mention an OBD11 scanner - was talking to someone else today who suggested likewise. This may be the time to invest in one. My thoughts revolve around the failure of some sensor or another. 

Cheers

Peter

We had a car on the IOM trip a few years ago that was very down on revs. Found throttle butterfly was not opening fully ..... easy adjustment of cable or stop transformed the car. It was previously a hire car I think. Must have worked, as on a subsequent trip across Europe the French Police awarded this car the fastest car of the day !!

Thanks Bizzielizzie

i've always thought the change up lights were arranged to reflect what the engine was doing. I'm certain it is down on revs - on track I sometimes hit the rev limiter which I am sure is set around 7200rpm. Overall I just know that the car used to be faster at the top end. Don't know if a badly set up set of change up lights could affect engine performance. 

Thanks again

The shift lights and the ECU operate independently and are configured separately. It is simply not possible for the engine to go into "limp mode" (or develop a fault) and for the shift light to pick up that change and reflect the lower rev limit on the lights.

The tacho and shift lights are both fed from the same signal, so it is not possible for the shift lights to show 7200 (max RPM / flashing) and the tacho to show a lower value (6200).  Unless by some coincidence you managed to knock the shift light's buttons and reconfigure it at the same time as developing a fault.

I'd suggest that your tacho is faulty and displaying a slightly lower value than it should.  So your car is actually at max rpm and the shift lights are correctly indicating that.  However the tacho is incorrectly showing that there is 1000 rpm left.

Edit to add..

Yes the shift lights are adjustable.  You can set the shift up point to any value you like.  To check what it is set to, press the Stop button then the Up button 3 times.  Also keep scrolling Up and check that the number of cylinders is still set to 4.

However, setting the shift light point will have no effect on the engine's actual rev limit.  It only controls when the lights flash.  So that won't explain the misfire / limiting you're getting at 6200.

Thanks for this. I had similar thoughts myself re the Rev counter. Only thing is that the difference became clearly noticeable all of a sudden on track. It is definitely not gong as fast as it did. Agreed re the change up lights. As I said before I have little faith in how they were set up anyway - I never did get around to setting them up properly when the car was finished. So - I reckon the change up lights situation is a red herring - which means something somewhere is limiting the number of revs. There is an occasional misfire further down the rev range. This all seems to point towards a failed fuel or air sensor or a blockage in one or the other.

Plugged in an OBD2 scanner but...... in common with one or two others experience - it won't read the Catetham's duratec but is happy to read any other car I plug it into! Arghhh.