Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motor

Kevsta

Evening all. Working on my car, 1995 k series, and the starter solenoid is a big rough with terminals having some issues. Started to take apart and it is knackered. Does anyone know the cheapest option for a replacement? I've seen that the replacement might be Lucas LRS110?

or is it best to try to get a replacement solenoid? Cheaper the better as not got a bottomless pit of money (and have quite a few other things to work on). 

Many thanks

kev 

I'd consider changing for a WOSP item or similar. Really not too expensive and they do a couple of high torque variants - I fitted one on a 2004 K-Series a couple of years back and it was fantastic, well worth the effort and money. 

I've got a K-Series starter in the garage gathering dust - I could remove the solenoid and send it to you if you like?

Personally I'd be wary of the Brise unit. Was involved with diagnosing a car with odd electrical problems, wouldn't start without throttle. Turned out that the Brise starter was causing a much larger than usual transient drop in voltage, the ECU thought the ignition had been turned off and reset the IACV. While digging into this, lots of other stories came to light of people having similar problems (not starting without throttle, immobiliser resetting whilst cranking etc.) with Brise starters. The owner of the car I was looking at replaced it with the standard Magneton and all his problems went away. Note that the Brise was still cranking the engine very nicely, just the transient voltage spike caused problems. From what I've seen of the WOSP unit it looks very well made, cranks well and doesn't cause similar issues.

Hi Kev

I had to replace the solenoid and managed to google the ref on the solenoid and got a replacement for 20 quid. I even managed to fit it without taking out the starter motor, just to see if I could. Don't think it was much quicker. 

I had a broken terminal on the solenoid that had been repaired with lots if solder  I think the heat generated breaks this down over time  

Good luck

Richard