Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis no KLD.0155R. Information please?

Rullingen

A friend of mine has bought a Caterham Supersprint (we think) Chassis no KDL.0155R. He knows very little about it and would like to know more so he can buy bits for it, such as an FIA roll bar. It has de-dion axle, I think it must have been one of the first. We don't know if it's a long or standard length chassis.

Can someone please tell us more specifically what he has from this chassis number? This act of kindness will no doubt prompt him to join the club.

Thanks, Rob.

Chassis number of my 1990 car is KLD****R. Translates as Kit car,Long cockpit,De-dion chassis,****(unit number),Rhd.

The unit number of mine is roughly 1100 higher than yours, so would guess at 87/88 vintage.

Brian.

Mine is only a few hundred higher from this car, it was a '89 disc brake dedion long cockpit. Interestingly the rear hubs are quite unique to that era and different from anything 1991 on. So rare in fact I have only seen two other cars with the same hubs. They are significantly lighter to :-). Assume through the top rear damper top mounts (like a live axle). Great basis for improvements.

When looking for a FIA roll bar he will need a 'Live Axle' Long cockpit.

When looking side on at the car, the up right of the hoop appears to lean slightly forward (top forward)

The up right on a Short cockpit is 'Vertical'.

When the roll bar is removed you will find the year and Arch gig no. Stamped on the point where the up right attaches (drivers side).

Richard

Culminator,

The owner and friend of mine read your post and is interested in your roll bar. So impressed with the response was he that he has joined the club today. He doesn't yet have access to the site so can't respond in person but asked me to express an interest in the mean time.

So if you could hang on to it untill he's been in touch that would be great. Alternatively I could pass on your email address if you send it to me.

Many thanks, Rob.

Neil - Thanks Mike has been in touch.

Looking at your car it is the same vintage as mine, which is also Red / Ally and clams. 1700 Super Sprint

Mine had a 'bench' seat but that was changed for 'Pre S Type' leather seats. (You will get to know the different types in time)

Enjoy driving it, not polishing it...........

Richard

I plan to remove my KLD0203 (likely 1986 than 87) FIA roll bar and replace with something more upright during visit to Arch. Wish I had kept the original single hoop. Mine was kit built, based on 5 speed box believe it is Universal chassis, if 4 speed box then previous chassis; The Magnificent Seven Book worth recommending as it was to me recently (thank you Peter) only to find I already had it on my bookshelf. A mine of detailed information; marry it with the link above to the chassis numbers.