Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knocking noise at idle, stops when clutch depressed

Brian Deacon

Hi. Zetec engine and five speed box.  Recently adjusted idle from high (1200) to more suitable 800 rpm.  Now find that I have a loud knocking noise from the rear of the engine or maybe the gearbox. It stops when either the clutch pedal is pressed or the revs are increased. I suspect this is the gearbox, maybe the idler shaft bearings.  Any ideas?  

Quite normal to hear quite a lot of rattly noises from the gearbox at idle as the gears chatter on the shafts at low RPM. As you say, the noise usually goes with a little throttle or when depressing the clutch. I was worried about mine when I first got it but I've since been reassured that what I was hearing was normal. There is so little soundproofing on our cars you hear things that you would never have heard when the box was installed in a Sierra.

• Area Representative

Yup. Rattling lay shaft or idle gear shaft is a common 5 speed box 'noise'. It does not signify that anything is about to fail. It is a "they all do that sir" noise.

My 11 year old 1.6K with 5 speeder rattled almost from the moment it went on the road & continued to rattle safely 11 years later & still does in the hands of the second owner some 3 years on. And he changed the release bearing thinking it would cure the noise!

To a lesser degree 6 speeders do as well due to the 5 speed lineage.

Have you Ford ATF (red) fluid in the box? This oil  was recommended by Caterham for the 5 speed box back in the late 90's early 2000's. Due to its limited viscosity it did not control the noise.

Change the oil for a 80w 90 or similar & the noise will become less bothersome. 

You have to remove the diff to remove the propshaft ! Use a vacuum syringe or pump with pvc tube through the fill hole. You can remove the top cover plate with the gearbox in-situ ..... but it is hard work .... and you'll have a job scraping old bits of gasket off the top flange. I did it this way last time. Top tip from Road & Race .... light smear of silicone sealant on top surface of gasket to keep it attached to the lid ... smear of grease on the lower surface to stop it sticking to the box flange.

I agree with Andrew (revilla).  Both my 7s (Supersport with 5sp and then 6sp, and R400D with 6sp) have always suffered from layshaft rattle.  I learned to live with it.

It's worth bearing in mind that, when Henry Ford designed the Type 9 box, he intended the first fill of oil to stay there for life, which is why there's no drain plug.

JV

Just looked at access to the top cover plate, not easy as you said.  Maybe I will try sucking through the fill hole. Bit hit and miss as to where the end of the suction tube ends up but should be able to get most oil out. Job for tomorrow morning, will look forward to it!

With the oil up to temp pop the filler plug out and feed in a length of 6mm washer tube, pull a vacuum on it with a syringe enough to start a syphon, leave draining into an oil tray for a few hours.

Once done refill with 1.2 Ltrs of Redline MTL oil.

Measure the oil an fill with a tube and funnel or syringe as Ford have use several filler plugs are various heights over the years depending on application some needing as much as 1.9Ltr which is too much for our application.

Have fun *rotate*