Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wrapping/blocking radiator for cold weather driving?

richard lane

Hi

Please excuse my ignorance on this issue as I havent had my Seven for long .

Someone mentioned that they block of the front of their radiator with card for cold weather use.

Is this something that needs to be done? Pros/Cons?

Or not really neccessary?

Anyway thanks for any advice in advance

All best Rich

Will depend on the car/engine/cooling efficiency etc.

If it gets up to temperature reasonably quickly then it's not necessary (and should be avoided IMHO).

If it doesn't reach normal temp, or takes longer to get there than you'd like before "giving it beans", then start off with a third and see how you get on.

I am looking to do this too, as I am strugling to get above 60°C in this weather.

If attaching it to the nose cone, do you mean the back/front of the grill? If so is there a danger than the extra drag will pull out the grill (and send it backwards into the radiator matrix)?

Thanks

Jon

Thermostats are usually removed on race cars for better coolant flow. So if you're using a race or ex-race car (which hasn't had the stat replaced) it's essential to block off some of the rad or the nosecone opening when running in cold weather. Gaffer tape is the tool of choice for racers, of course, but looks a bit unsightly on the nose cone, and can leave sticky deposits if applied directly to the radiator.

When I use to race bikes we would put strips of gaffer tape on the rad, with cable ties attached and leading up towards the handlebars. You could then pull off strips after the warmup lap, or even mid-race if you needed extra cooling. Throwing the strips in the direction of a competitor provided an extra "psyching out" factor. Sadly that's hard to do in a Caterham.

SM25T Wrote:- "I put it between the 7 grille and mesh grille. No other fixings needed. One third or two thirds .... vertically .... leaving a gap in the centre." 

Interesting. I put mine horizontally, at the bottom.  Any perceived advantages to fitting vertically?

Ah, I see.  I've found that the neoprene is dead easy and quick to fit (thanks for the heads-up Mark).  The estate agent board (Corex) works well, but has to be slid between the 7 and mesh grilles in sections so takes longer - but it was free!

It shouldn't really be necessary IMHO.  Blanking off the radiator was common when radiators were cooled by constantly rotating fans driven by the fan belt (or an emergency nylon stocking later replaced by tights *frown*  ) attached to dynamo / alternator - fan / water pump - crankshaft pulley.  Then along came the electric thermostatically controlled fans that cut out when the engine reaches the required temperature.

Some of the more expensive "fancy" radiator blanking covers had a smaller inner panel that could be rolled down so that a small part of the radiator could still be cooled.

I agree with a previous poster, check your thermostat is working and yur electric fan is operating at the correct temperature.

If you do insist on blanking off your radiator, make sure that your temp. gauge is working and that YOU KEEP AN EYE ON IT ... otherwise you will look a numpty with a misfiring 7 with steam coming out of the bonnet *silly*

... and another consideration ... what about the extra weight of blanking *biglaugh*

• Area Representative

Steam from the bonnet? Only from a K. *curse* (see another thread).

If I could ask a serious question:- which of those who have posted really use their Seven throughout the winter? I do and I promise you that the (indicated) temperature drops noticeably when traveling at speed in the winter. The fan doesn't get involved unless one is stationary for a long time.

LE0 - 1800K SV - has been driven throughout the year since 2005 and I've never needed to blank off the rad.  Just over 80 on the temp gauge regardless of outside temperature unless driving at 50+ on a cold day.  Like last Saturday...........

There used to be radiator blinds available, a roller blind at the bottom or top of the radiator, operated by cable from inside the car, allowing the driver to adjust it up and down according to engine temp. I remember my brother having one on his Hillman Hunter

Should be pretty easy to rig up on a seven.

if you can be bothered to take the nosecone off, I find tin foil to work really well, you just wrap it round the edges of the rad and it stays there with no other help needed, and is waterproof of course - had buy some from a petrol station to do this when I bought my Classic in January and drove it up to Wales.

Plan to sort the stat out in the next couple of weeks mind you so maybe it won't be necessary, we'll see.