Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DAB Radio Aerial

C7HJE

Hi there. Anybody tried fixing/fitting a DAB radio aerial on the windscreen of the Seven?

Heard that the heater element in the windscreen would stop good reception? If so any other ideas as to location/type of aerial, etc etc.

All the best

Howard

C7HJE

Hi Howard,

I won't comment on fitting of radios in 7s, but have fitted a number of after market DAB radios in various cars.  I have done several screen mounts but the tip that might be of use for you is regarding mag mount aerials.

I bought one a few years ago to experiment with and it really sucks in the signal.  It's a pure one with a pure after market radio adapter.  It's currently stuck to the rear seat hinge in my range rover and does a fine job.  Not tried this in the 7 as I I have a different approach to music but would guess a decent mag mount stuck almost anywhere on the roll bar (even pointing in behind the passenger seat) would give a good result, based on my experience.

Mark.

Thanks Pugwash.

Had not thought about a magnetic mounted. Will have a snoop around the Internet.

Son was asking if he could put earplugs into his ear defenders and listen to the radio!

Regards

Howard

I have, on occasion of boring motorway journeys and TMS being on, used one of the Pure solar powered portable radios successfully by putting it in the SBFS Wind Deflector central pocket. It means sunlight can get to it, the built-in aerial can be extended most of the way and you have a minimum of earphone cable to deal with.

It's a Pure Highway that I have too.  It's pretty much a portable DAB radio modified for car use.  I think it can even take batteries so as long as you have an aerial then it should do what you are looking for, but the Pure mag mount was not that cheap.  Have you got a friendly auto radio place where you might be able to borrow one for a test?

My alternative way of doing things is to use the iPhone as a music source in the 7 into personal earplugs.  In the 7 I just use it for stored music.  I have been experimenting with streaming music stations too but that does depend on having a broadband signal to the phone for it to maintain the program.

• 2 weeks later...