Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stripping Ital axle - Question #1

OliverSedlacek

The axle is leaking oil, from the pinion seal I think. Having pulled it from the car, it also needs new spring attachment points welded on as the old ones are shagged. I've also indulged in a James Whiting disk conversion to cheer myself up.

I can now see that the hubs sit on a taper on the half shafts, so they probably need more than a puller to get them off. As Caterbram pointed out, I probably don't need to get the flanges off the shafts but I do need to get the assembly out of the casing. Does that mean pulling the wheel bearing out of the casing?

If so, what do you pull against?

undo and remove the 4 bolts which hold the back plate and oil routing plate to the axle flange.

you will probably find if you brake the seal behind the back plate that the shaft should tap outwards, it would be unusual to find tight bearings, normally on the ital they are toooooo loose.

once both half shafts are out the diff unbolts and removes.

have you gone for the rakeway conversion with the disc brake conversion ?

if you have it comes with new oil seals if not then make sure you replace the shaft oil seals.

• 6 years later...

Oliver,

How did the axle beating go?

Anyone:

Where were the reconditioned academy Itals welded? the bearing to the housing or the bearing to the half shaft?

James Whiting's horror stories pages shows a half shaft that broke from being subjected to welding.

www.jameswhiting.com/page17.html

http://www.jameswhiting.com/halfshaft%20001.jpg