Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Accident Damage at Garage During Annual Service

Tin Man

• Area Representative

Hi all

A bit of bad news today, the mechanic carrying out a service on my 7 today managed to hit the rear wing and It will need replacing. The car is a 1999 K-Series and the paint colour is Dodge Viper Blue. I have a few questions which I hope the power of Blat Chat can help me with.

Will Caterham be able to provide me with the paint code and can the paint be matched with the existing as it is 15 years old? I will also need to paint the other wing so it will match the new one. Would it be better to replace both wings and wing protectors? I have noticed on the  Caterham Web Site that the replacement wings are painted, as my car is blue I would assume that the black would be the best ones to buy.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Many thanks

I've struggled to get a paint code for Viper Blue, but when I needed a front wing doing the local paint shop just said "yeah, Dodge Viper Blue, we know that one well" and it matched perfectly (mine's a 2003). I think it's a common / well known paint.

• Area Representative

Thanks for the replies. No luck with Caterham today, left a message on their answer service, but didn't get a reply. Hopefully, they will ring tomorrow. 

Any decent vehicle paint shop should be able to match the paint closely if you take the item to be matched. 

My 32 year old rear BRG rear wing needed some rework, took it to them, and off I went with an aerosol to make it back like new, very good match, apart from my lack of spraying skilIs.

I hope the garage are coming to some agreement about the replacement wing? 

Check there is no hidden damage where the wing bolts to the panelwork, these bolts will pull through the aluminium with very little force, certainly force enough to warrant a new wing would need to be looked at more closely.  

Nigel.  

• Area Representative

Sorry to hear of your predicament - particularly as you are a fellow 'Helstonian' (although live in Newbury now.)

As been said, any good paint shop should be able to match that colour - that is their profession after all!

Was it a garage in Helston that did the damage?

• Area Representative

Hi Nick

Yes it was a independent garage in Helston. The mechanic who's near retirement age was in tears when I collected the car. On the funny side, he actually hit is own car in the car park! By the way, I am from Falmouth, but I have lived in Helston for the past 10 Years. 

I have rung Caterham twice now a left messages on their answer service about the replacement parts, but they have not rung back! Business must be really good!!!!!!

All the best.

John

• Area Representative

Yes Tony at TSK.  Caterham are great if you want to buy a new or approved car.  If you want parts then ring Redline.  If you want paint or body work it's TSK.  3 people have now suggested TSK, so why are you waiting for Caterham to ring back, they don't paint the cars?