Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Funny ticking noise, but where is it?

JimmyRocks

Morning all. 

I'm looking for some direction with a funny noise. 

First of all you need to realise that I am a mechanical numpty. I love my car, but under the bonnet it's all cogs, springs and stuff like that. 

The guy that services it for me recons that the next step is to get engine and gearbox out! He may well be right.

In recent weeks it has developed a ticking noise on acceleration, sounding a bit like pinking. I suspect that it is in the transmission somewhere. The noise is in proportion to engine speed, not road speed. If I reverse, then the noise is on deceleration not acceleration. 

I take it that this means that the noise is coming from transmission/clutch/gearbox. 

The engine is a K-series 1600, the gearbox is a five speed ?ford Sierra box. 

Is this a familiar problem to anyone? Any advice?

You say that the ticking is proportional to engine speed rather than road speed.  What happens if you dip the clutch at, say, 40mph in top?  Does the ticking drop away with engine speed?  Is there any difference if you do this in the intermediate gears?

JV

Hmmm...tricky one.  Impossible to say without actually hearing the noise, but if I had to guess, I'd go for something in the transmission between engine and gearbox internals that normally runs at crank speed -- working from front to rear, things like clutch pressure plate, driven plate (broken damper springs), diaphragm springs, release bearing, gearbox input shaft, gearbox lay shaft. 

Maybe the engine/gearbox will have to come out, as your mechanic suggests, to allow a thorough investigation....

JV

" If I reverse, then the noise is on deceleration not acceleration. " that sounds temptingly like a clue, because for things to be spinning in the other direction, it has to be rearwards of what? The reverse gear? So that's not the clutch cos that goes only in engine direction. Maybe the mort's crocodile post above has a point?

These are my thoughts:
It only happens under accelleration going forward and decelleration in reverse. Under these conditions all parts between the engine and rear diff twist. The twist will be the same for accellerating forwards and decellerating backwards.
It only happens < 2500 rpm. Are you sure or is it that other noises such as engine noise drowns out the ticking over this speed?
Are you positive it's engine speed related rather than road speed? If it only happens under accelleration then both are increasing.
Personally, I'd check all engine, gearbox and diff mounts to make sure they are secure and there is no movement. I'd then check all moving parts between the engine drive belt and the diff for a small clearance that could close as the driveline twists and moves.
Maybe take the car for a drive with the tunnel top cover removed so that you can hear and see the gearbox and propshaft.

Note that I'm no expert so what I say may be rubbish but worth checking if nothing else works!

• 3 weeks later...