Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel torque

Julian H

Jonathan,

Finally got round to measuring my studs over the weekend and can confirm:

Front stud length fron hub = 28mm

Rear stud length from hub = 21mm

and by measuring the amounth of 'clean' thread it looks like the rears engage about 9mm of thread

I'm not sure on the diameter of the stud to do your rule of thumb calculation, but it would appear I am below the limit of 1.5 x stud diameter??

Do I have anything to worry about? I'm guessing the car did 4/5 seasons of motor racing with its current set up, and presumably with no wheel nut issues...

• 8 years later...

Just 're-opening' this thread having searched for wheel nut torque settings after a conversation with a few members at the Donnington track day this week. All of us had the 15" Orcus alloys on relatively new cars - three Duratec and one Sigma. The latest Caterham build manual for Duratec (Edition 2.0 - page 187) states the wheel nuts should be torqued to 85Nm. However, the rest of the guys at the track torqued theirs to 75Nm (which I have also seen mentioned in this thread).

Just wondering what the latest general consensus / advice is as it may appear I am over-torquing mine. For info, I use copper-slip grease on the threads.

Up till now, I've tightened to 75Nm (2008-era 15" anthracites).  If CC now recommend 85, I'm happy to move to that.

I don't lube the threads at all, due to the risk of over-stretching the stud before reaching the specified torque.  But I do make sure the threads are really clean.

JV

What is the reason for the lower torque when hot?

I think differential expansion of the hub and brake disk and possibly the use of the alloy cones on the wheel nuts. It is quite consistent and has always done it when the rear hubs and brakes get really hot. I find the loosening torque when the wheels cool down again is pretty close to 85Nm, if the hot tightening torque is kept at 75Nm.

I have been fortunate to own a number of new cars and each one has had a small amount of lubrication on the wheel studs/nuts or bolts from new. I don't know what they use but can say that whatever it is it lasts for years, and if you have your car serviced regularly then the manufacturer's advice is correct. On other cars I've fixed which had no or almost no lubrication I applied a small amount of oil or copper slip and then wipe it - a completely dry thread is not going to be a good idea. 

Below is a link to an interesting video but I suggest jumping to 2 mins and stopping at 5 mins as although I agree with him and think he is a competent and honest engineer, he is usually rather non PC and a bit Marmite.