Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing rear brake lines with braided hoses

martyn

I've picked up some goodridge hoses to replace the fixed rear brake lines.  Seems like a sensible thing to do from both a safety and practicality point of view.  Although now I'm wondering if it is worth it.. I understand this is mandatory for the academy racers?

Anyway..  After a very quick trial fit, it seems like it may be a good idea to fit a 90 degree elbow piece on the end of the hose that attaches to the calliper.  This will allow the hose to run straight along the de dion tube and give better clearance from the radius arm / watts linkage attachment.   Has anybody else done this, or do you just loop the hose around on itself.

Would be great to see some pictures if you've already fitted these flexible hoses!

Thanks.

Grubbster,  Did you route the hose under the radius arm (following a similar route to the fixed pipe) or over the top of the radius arm?  Going under the radius arm results in quite a severe bend that sits very near the radius arm attachment.  This is my reasoning for the use of a 90 elbow.  Over the top doesn't really seem feasible given the length of the hose.

I’m sure it will become obvious once I start screwing hoses together.  I'm just trying to visualise how it will fit before I start taking things apart.   Here is a random image from the internet so people can see what I mean about the routing.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-A9c3Tcju3O0/TZeZp3aPPLI/AAAAAAAAAA4/yO-WuA47Xxs/s1600/2011+04+02_0259.jpg

Gregs, They were ordered directly from Caterham.

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1135

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1134

Different lengths because the T junction isn't in the middle.  However they are labelled the wrong way round here.  On my car the shorter one goes to the RH calliper.  Regardless, you need one of each anyway so it doesn't matter.

They're standard goodridge hoses using their modular / reusable fittings.  So you could get them made up anywhere, although I think you'd struggle to beat the price.  Some of those individual goodridge fittings can get pretty expensive!

I just bought the two hoses from Redline and slapped them on, following the original routing of the hard copper lines. I do see what you mean about the dodgy bend though, but I'm using different rear calipers, so have slightly different dodgy bends, as the hose goes into the Hi Specs perpendicular to the caliper bodies.

Mike, can you enlighten me about where the copper washer and nut go? (Both supplied with the hoses).

Again, I'm sure it will become obvious when I actually do it.  Just want to be sure I'm clear on everything before I empty the brake fluid.

From memory I think those parts might not have been used. The one end is screwed into the tee piece first, then the other end uses the swivel fitting into the caliper. As mentioned previously the right is the left and vice versa. I don't think this kit was designed for this specific application, hence the redundant parts and incorrect labelling. I hope I've remembered that correctly.

Hi Martyn, the back end of my car is in bits at the moment so I can't get a picture for you (I'll have a look on my PC though as I may have taken some when I fitted them) but I'm pretty sure they come under the radius arms and there is a bit of an angle to bend at the caliper end.

Sorry Steve, haven't noticed any SV specific hoses. Might be worth trying redline?

Or you could easily get some hoses made up, you'll just need to figure out what fittings you need on each end. Either that or you could buy the S3 ones from caterham and a length of hose then swap the fittings over yourself. The goodridge hose can be picked up for around £11 a metre.

Hello,

I fitted the caterham goodridge braided hoses to my S3 de dion in 2012.

I read on blatchat that there had been a failure of a braided hose due to abrasion where the hose had rubbed against part of the axle. Goodridge sell a spiral protection sleeve which i have used over the whole length of the hoses and i have routed the hoses around the back of the radius arm brackets to make sure they do not rub on any corners.

You could try contacting caterham midlands and asking them as i believe a lot of racers have them fitted.

Regards,

Chris Perry

/sites/default/files/images/users/1932/IMG_0397.JPG

Thanks Chris, That's a great photo.

I'm not sure the hoses that I have are long enough to route like that though.  Did you create your own or buy the ones from Caterham (linked above).

Another complication is that I have the Watts linkage.  So coming around the rear of the radius arm doesn't necessarily keep it clear of all the moving bits.

Mine run under the radius arm and in front of the radius arm bracket. I don't think they were long enough to go behind. The brake line is stationary relative to the de Dion assembly so only important to avoid possible fouling with a moving part, ie radius arm or damper. As you have watts linkage you probably have even more clearance under the forward arm.