Click here if you are having website access problems ×

160 build - first engine start (not quite)

700newtons

• Leadership Team

Ok folks, advice please.

I'm having trouble getting the engine started for the first time.

I turn the key to position II. I hear the fuel pump and liquid moving. the dash board comes to life. I see an orange engine warning sign and a red battery sign.

The imobiliser light flashes rapidly and then turns off (a good sign I think).

i push he start button but nothing happens.

I move the key to III. When I push the start button the starter motor springs to life and turns the engine. ( a bit weird, the start button is supposed to work on II??)

fuel doesn't seem to be getting to the pistons and I can't smell fuel.

I have pressed down on the inertia button behind the brake reservoir - it is not that.

What am I missing?

any ideas...

I removed my switch assembly a decade or so back - but 'surely' position III is normally the momentary position that fires the starter - in which case it sounds as if your starter button is wired in series with position III on the switch instead of replacing it(?)

...this assumes position 0 is off, I is just aux power, II is the normal engine-running position and III is starter.

I'd check/sort that out and then move on - if everything else is wired up correctly, having the starter button in series with the equivalent on the key-barrel should only be an inconvenience rather than a 'fault' - but it also suggests that other connections could be jumbled (too?)

Unfortunately, I didn't write up the connections when I removed my key barrel http://alcester-racing-sevens.com/aircraft_installation.htm

• Leadership Team

Car now with more fuel... No joy.

i have have a photo of the correct wiring for the key barrel. However, there is a study plastic cone clipped onto the back of the key barrel (with the diameter tapered down towards the wires end). Does anyone know how this can be removed without breaking it?

Simon