Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Options

Moggie

I currently have a set of CR500s (175/55R13 front and 205/55R13 rear), however the rears are quite worn and the front left has developed a slow puncture. I'm hence looking for suitable replacements.

I use the car (Superlight 150) solely for the road; however hope to do a track day or two later in the year. Do people recommend another set or CR500s or are there other options I should consider?

I should add that I drive my seven in all conditions so wet weather performance is also important.

Many thanks

• Area Representative

Although CR500's will be available for the next couple of years I would be tempted to go for the new ZZS's.

Janes Weekely gave us a very informative talk at our local meet the other week and based on his experience, and the benefits he outlined, they would seem ideal.

Available either direct from Avon at Melksham or BMTR in Birmingham.

Whatever tyres you go for, a word of caution about BMTR. Read them the riot act about treating your wheels well. Infront of me they used their feet to kick / push my brand new wheels across the concrete floor as they separated fronts from rears, and looking at the scratched / chipped anodising around the centre hole of three of the four wheels they treat putting them on the balancing machine as a game of hoopla. I won't use them again. 

From the site JK linked to:

For clarity reasons, the label does not address too many parameters. For example, it does not address how long the tyre will last, driving in snow, behaviour in aquaplaning or handling on curves.

So the ZZS might mean longer stopping distances in a straight line than the CR500 in "the wet" (for presumably one specific value of "wet"?) but the label makes no claim about cornering ability - so the ZZS may (or may not) offer more grip in regular driving.

I have no knowledge either way, but the label is clearly not as helpful as may have been thought...

• Area Representative

The wet rating is very misleading and doesn't relate to the ability of the tyre to clear water when driving through standing water etc. ZZRs  have a very good wet rating yet, if you have seen the tread pattern, you would wonder how on earth it was arrived at! I wouldn't place too much faith in the wet rating, looking at the tread pattern and visualising how good it would be at clearing water to maintain that vital contact patch is I feel a much better way?

ZZSs should be available as from now but James said that they would probably be in short supply for a while due to demand.  

When I spoke to Avon the other week the guy said the wet rating is misleading and doesn't relate to clearing water. 

Also Avon stopped making the CR500 in Nov 2014. So I doubt supplies will last for next 2 year. 

Mi have ordered the new ZZS. CR500 is old technology now. Things have moved on. 

• Area Representative

Erm....correction Avon are still manufacturing CR500s & will be for some time to come.

How do I know? Just been down to the Melksham site ( Wednesday 18th Feb in fact) & picked up a set of CR500s FRESH OF THE LINE with all the 'gristle' hanging off them!

Avon Motorsport warehause is FULL of them.

The only notable thing about 2014 is the change by manufacturers to comply with the new Euro tyre lable regs. Noise, wet performance etc.

I use CR500's on my R300 and like them. However, it makes sense to me to go for the latest tyre technology hence considering ZZS's next time.

My concern is my current tyre sizes are 175/55 x 13 and 205/55 x 13 whereas the ZZS only comes in 185/55 x 13 and 215/55 x 13. Will the slightly increased width cause any rubbing or other problems?

Anybody.....

"I use CR500's on my R300 and like them. However, it makes sense to me to go for the latest tyre technology hence considering ZZS's next time. My concern is my current tyre sizes are 175/55 x 13 and 205/55 x 13 whereas the ZZS only comes in 185/55 x 13 and 215/55 x 13. Will the slightly increased width cause any rubbing or other problems?"

7 WONDERS OF THE WORLD

and a puncture repair if possible

It is not advisable to repair punctures on a performance car which generates a lot of heat in the tyres. The integrity of "mushroom" plug type repairs  is compromised when they are subjected to high temperatures and can result in a rapid deflation failure. 

As above, would never have a repaired tyre on the Caterham.  It is worth checking the wheel for leaks either through the split rims (if indeed they are) or around the bead.

And CycleSi, in answer to your question, I run both CR500 and ZZR on my imperial chassis SLR and have no issues clearance wise and use the same set-up.  It's 65mm under the (dry) sump on the ZZR - never measured it with the CR500.  The only thing to watch for is don't stick the balancing weights on the rear wheels in way of the flange on the end of the DD tube.

Why don't you borrow a set off someone local to you to try if you are in doubt?