Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine coolant

gulf 1

I have been in touch with Caterham regarding what coolant to use and they have assured me that Comma Xtreme G30 is fine to use in a K series with silicone hoses. In fact they said this is what they now put in all their new factory cars all of which now come with silicone hoses as standard.So this is what I shall be using.Thanks for all the input and I hope this has been of use to anyone else.

Good move, Dave, and well done for pursuing it.  But if CC put Comma G30 into new factory-built cars, I'm left wondering why they specify Millers Alpine Red in the latest handbook?  Mind you, their "first fill" fluids pack for both Duratec and Sigma includes G30.

JV

Why would anyone give away they chemical make up of their product?

Evans has now been around for excess of 20years - it was just not well marketed until they resolved the legal case against GM.  Which they won and received Hundreds of millions of dollars for.  It was at this point that the guy sin Swansea join the frame who happened to be experts in the Glycol used in cooling systems in buildings and heat pumps etc.

I have seen the lab test centre and seen steel ball bearings in the glycol, water and many other mixes of coolant.  Only the Glycol one was not corroded.  I have now used the coolant for over 3 years.  I drain it, strain it and put it back in.  Yes I loose some but i also get no presurization.

I was as sceptical as others that it was jungle juice.  

BUT it works.

Why would anyone give away they chemical make up of their product?

Well, they wouldn't if they valued their market.  After all, I'd estimate you could make 5 litres of your own 30/70 PG/EG mix, including additives, for about £25.  All I really wanted to know is: do they use OAT additives and, if so, do these include 2-EHA? 

JV

Had a bit of a read around the web on the subject of OAT coolant yesterday and basically came to the same conclusions as JV in post #22.  This SAE article seemed quite useful.  According to the Glysantin site G48 is a hybrid with both inorganic (silicate) and organic (2-EHA) inhibitors.

There is plenty of mention on hose manufacturers websites of OAT compatibility but no evidence or mention I could find of real world failures.  Silicone hoses and OAT coolant are both pretty common so if it was a big problem I'd expect it to pop up more readily.

Knowing what I know now I'd happily stick either type in my car and just follow the advice to not mix them, maintain the correct level & concentration and change it at the recommended interval.  I'd sway towards the OAT purely because the longer life gives a cost and hassle saving.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've just asked Evans themselves.  I'll let you know what they say.

Over two weeks have now passed, but nothing so far -- not even an acknowledgement.  I've just sent them a chaser, pointing out that I plan to publish whatever they choose to tell me.

JV

Well if Evans Coolants is good enough for Honda it is good enough for me and I will be using it for my Hayabusa engined Superlight. If I have a spare litre I am quite happy to heat it in a saucepan and check the boiling point and may be some of you will then be convinced it is not snake oil *whistle*

That press release contains statements from Evans and Honda. The Evans statement includes:

"Evans’ Power Cool 180, which is the choice coolant of the team, contains no water and offers an increase in performance, low pressurisation, no corrosion to engine components and eliminates boilover with a boiling point of over 180°C. The team is looking forward to working with Evans throughout the season and putting the company’s products to the ultimate test with the factory CRF450R, while aiming for victory in the MX1 World Championship series."

Is there any available evidence of increased performance in any setting, absence of corrosion or reduced pressure in the cooling liquid from either Evans or any other study? If I were selling this I'd get all of those studied by an independent lab and publish the findings.

Please consider the flammability before you boil it (or ethylene glycol) in a home-made set-up.

Jonathan

JK

Do you really think Honda will not have done any due diligence before allowing their name to be associated with a product? Any test I do will would be done outdoors however, I suspect you will not be convinced as it has not been done under laboratory conditions. I would point out I have no financial interest other than being a customer

I am sure that Honda have tested it and conclude that it's good enough for their needs. But they don't make any technical statement of any kind, let alone anything about superiority over alternatives.

It's those unsupported claims about superiority to a mixture of water and ethylene gycol that I'm challenging.

I don't understand motorsport but I'd also want to know who's paying whom in that deal.

Jonathan

PS: We already know the boiling point of propylene glycol. It's the relevance that's under debate.

PPS: I'd also be happy to use it my 7. But as it has an aluminium block I'd still change it frequently.  

Well its always clear as the day it went in when I look at my header tank.

Other coolants always got mucky and the crap it flushed out when we first flushed a K series 7 was frankly scary!

I think you will ring KTM world enduro team also use it.

Also JCB were about to spec it as new in all new plant with sealedsystems.  The deal was nearly complete and then JCB had a chang e of heart.  Why?  They looked at the value of spares they sold in order to keep existing water based coolant plant operating!

Jonathan and John Vine.  If you wrote to me and asked my what my special additives were in a product I sold I certainly would not be telling you.

Just because there have been many snake oil products over the years doesn't mean everything new has to be also.

If you wrote to me and asked my what my special additives were in a product I sold I certainly would not be telling you.

Let's be clear -- I've not asked Evans to provide a full chemical analysis, and if I did, I would expect (just as you suggest) a polite refusal!  As I indicated above, all I really want to know (and this is specifically what I've asked them) is:

1. Do they use OAT additives/inhibitors?
  2. If so, do these include 2-EHA and/or its sodium "salt"?

An update:

I've just heard back from Evans.  They have invited me to provide a contact phone number so that they can call to discuss.  As I'm away right now, that will have to wait until I return, but I shall happily take them up on their offer.  I hope they are willing to put something in writing as a result of our chat.

JV

hose compatibility

Yes, definitely.  That question is at the top of my list!

The Honda/Evans partnership is interesting.  This article states that "Honda has an extended-life OAT coolant that is dyed dark green and does not contain 2-EHA".  And this article expressly states that "When Honda introduced its long-life coolant, it specifically excluded 2-EHA".

Maybe the coolant specs for the Honda car engines and the CRF450R bike engine are different, but I'm now curious to know whether Power-Cool 180 contains 2-EHA. 

JV

I've used Evans in my K engine with classic black silicon hoses, no heater, and that other Devil's product; a plastic-capped CC radiator for 2 years now. All is well.

But what works for me may not work for others.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the original post - I have always used the recommended red anti freeze and changed to silicon hoses a couple of years ago or so. Today I changed my thermostat and noticed that the inside of my yellow hoses are 'stained' red by the anti freeze, presumably because the red in the anti freeze is a dye. I noticed no obvious signs of 'damage'

1.jpg

Yes, yellow throughout, bought via the bulk buy a few years back.

The top inner part is an area that was on the lower radiator pipe, hence not exposed to the fluid, and shows original colour.

The red colour is not a 'film', ie it didn't wipe off, it's definately stained the hose

• 3 weeks later...

I've just heard back from Evans.  They have invited me to provide a contact phone number so that they can call to discuss

Well, I had a long chat yesterday with a charming gentleman from Evans (UK).  In summary:

• Evans do not use OAT inhibitors (including 2-EHA) in their waterless coolants, due to the need for solubility in non-aqueous solvents
  • He was unable to say (for IP and commercial reasons) what inhibitors they did use, but explained that the formulation differed according to the type of engine the coolant was designed for
  • For old engines (with a high brass/copper/iron content) he recommended Vintage Cool, provided that the engine has a coolant pump (that is, not a thermo-siphon design) to cope with the higher viscosity
  • Evans coolants are fully compatible with, and do not harm, silicone hoses, seals etc (claim based on extensive testing)

JV