Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k series click

phil Scown

• Area Representative

Apologies for resurecting an old problem.....

I'm in the process of sorting out my intermitant starting problem - all the necessary bits purchased. 

The instructions, gathered from a blatchat link, state that I should "Detatch the smaller wire (i.e. NOT the big red one) from the rear of the solenoid...".  This is to go to terminal 86 on the new relay.  The problem is that my solenoid has three terminals on it, with:

i) big red wire and smaller wire,

ii) thickish black wire - but smaller than thick red wire,

iii) short thin wire going into the starter body;

which means I have three candidate wires.

Can anyone advise which wire I should move to pin 86 on the new relay?

Thanks

• Area Representative

A picture might help.

Generally speaking there will be 2 large terminals on the solenoid and one small one. One of the large terminals will have a thick red wire that goes to the battery. The other large terminal will have a very short wire connected to the adjoining starter motor. There should be a smaller wire which disappears into the loom (eventually). It is the latter that you connect to your relay.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The relay in the MFRU is adequate for the job, however the connections and loom wiring in the Caterham install can cause enough resistance to reduce the power available to the solenoid.

Howwever, as Gary says, that's not the entire problem, and there is no one fix fits all.

Corrosion of the terminals on the starter and solenoid, heat damage (usually internal) to the cables, and the alignment of the solenoid can all be contributary factors.  

Buy a Powerlite RAC430 and you will not get any more clicks. My car is 1999 K VVC with 4 into 1 exhaust - all wiring is as original. Used to click all the time. Heat is the problem as it stops the current passing throught the windings. Worth a call to Powerlite who will explain all as they used to deal with Caterham.

Indeed.

My 2001 Cat sill has orginal starter and original main cables to it. Once it clicked twice, I totally bypassed the Caterham loom with a new relay, a new wire from the ignition switch, and new power wires to the relay and new wire from relay to starter.  I used nothing in the original Caterham loom other than using the ignition switch.

Many years and thousands of miles later, in all weathers, stored outside most of the time, still works fine.

Bri