Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What Diff Ratio...3.6 or 3.9??

Ian Mackenzie

Hi There

I'm just deciding on the best Diff as I have two!

The Duratec that I'm fitting should have Circa 200hp and rev limit of 7,500 with a 5 speed gearbox with the following ratios:

1st 3.36:1, 2nd 1.81:1, 3rd 1.26:1, 4th 1:1 and 5th 0.82:1 (I think)

With the 3.6 Diff I get the following 'calculated' top speeds in each gear: 1st = 39mph, 2nd = 73mph, 3rd = 104, 4th = 131, 5th = 160mph

With the 3.9 Diff I get the following 'calcuated' top speeds in each gear:1st = 36mph, 2nd = 67mph, 3rd = 90mph, 4th = 113, 5th = 148mph

Gut feel looks like the 3.9 Diff, but would welcome opinions....

Cheers

Ian

I would go with the 3.9. First is a little longer with the 3.6, but with the 3.9 you'll get better acceleration in 3rd and 4th, and also 5th will be a more useable gear rather than overdrive.

Of course if you're mainly touring and want better range/economy then go for the 3.6 *smile*

Duncan

With 200 bhp I'd go with the 3.9 to give you a more useful 1st and 2nd, you'll have more than enough oomph for 3rd and 4th - unless you are only really doing trackdays then the 3.6 would be marginally better. I run a SPC long ratio 5 speed (long 1st, 2nd and 3rd) with a 3.9 (230 bhp) and it's excellent.

I would go for a 3.92 as well, but like 7WOTW says, a decent set of ratios is recommended, as 1st is just silly short and 5th is slightly too long. Even with 200bhp, I don't think you'll get much more than 140mph, due to the crap aerodynamics of our cars. I couldn't get above above 7200rpm in 5th out of my 200bhp K-series, which, with the tyres I was using at the time, equated to just under 139mph.

Correction: I actually got to only 6800rpm in 5th and 137.45mph. Limp. *weeping*

• Area Representative

Ian,

You don't say what your planning on using the car for.

For track use, the stock 5 speed 'box is hopeless with either diff. 1st is way too low.

If you're predominantly using the car on the road and touring, then the overdrive top AND a tall (3.6) diff would make for more relaxed cruising and better economy.

Additionally, you don't say what wheels and tyres you're using, which, again, affect overall gearing.

7WofTW is right, a completely different set of ratios in the gearbox would make the car much nicer to drive. 

That's a good top end Mankee, is that with an aero screen? I still use a full windscreen and top end in fourth is a vbox 130 mph (indicated 146) and even with a slightly shortened 5th gear it won't pull any more. I wonder what difference an aero would make?

Yeah, that was with aeroscreen, 205/55R13 CR500s on the back and standard Caterham/Ford V6 Type 9 with the 0.825 5th and a 3.92 diff. The speedo was reading just over 160mph, so it was pretty far out! I think you need to invest in an aeroscreen for this year. I've got a box with a slightly shorter 5th now.

Hi there

Thanks for all the comments......

Yes ideally a 5 speed box with better ratios is the way to go, but all the pocket money has been used puting the Duratec in at present (But I do have 2 diffs in garage to choose from without spending anymore cash).

The speeds I've used have been based on the rolling circumference of some Yokohama 048s (185x60x13), though I'll probably have 205s on the back when the car is finnished so the speeds will change slightly again.

Regarding the use of the car, I'm looking at building close to a sprint spec though not full sprint spec (so performace rather than touring) as I'll still be on a medium compound tyres....

Cheers

Ian

• Support Team

How about 6 speed and 3.92 diff? *yes*

Not ideal for touring but great on the hillclimbs!! Our car will do 130mph @ 8500rpm in 6th - the only problem occurs at Goodwood where we are on the limiter for some time on both straights.

I'm not helping am I? *getmecoat*

Quite frankly, I think that the 3.6 will be more than long enough for mainly road with a bit of track work thrown in from time to time.  Even with longer 1st and 2nd ratios it will be fine.  

Whilst my 2.3 Duratec is a little more torquey, that is what I have in my CSR and I could really use a 3.3 diff, and thats with a BGH geartec modified box with longer 1s & 2nd ratios too.

The only use for the 3.9 is on a revy low[ish] torque motor like a 1400 & 1600 K series,  I know everyone will have their own view on this, but I've had numerous combinations over the years and would always advise a 3.6 with any gearbox behind a Duratec.

However, I'm sure what you put in will work, just be sure to resurect this thread and let us know, honestly, what you think of your chosen setup.