Click here if you are having website access problems ×

improving the headlights

Robert Cadiz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and in that spirit, four pictures are now in the latest post in my "Front lights refresh" blog:

http://www.lotus7.club/blogs/front-lights-refresh#comment-2118998

If you don't want to work through them, the summary is:

• Brighter bulbs help a bit (visible in the garage, more noticeable on the road), obviously dependent on what bulbs you have to start with;
  • Cibies make a more noticeable change in the garage (at least). Not tested on the road yet and I'm *not* going out with a range of bulbs and reflectors to perform trials!

They come with a different sidelight fitting (a bayonet with 6mm spade terminals on short fly leads) but the actual hole in the reflector is the same size, so you can discard the new sidelight fitting and retain your existing ones. The hole is also rubber lined so holds the sidelight slightly more firmly.

Not, as it turns out, strictly true. The Cibie sidelight hole is *slightly* smaller, but the rubber lining is thick and flexible enough that the sidelight mounts from the Wipac will fit in.

The rubber lining will attempt to hold on to the bulb on removal though, so you need to be careful so as to not lose the bulb into the unit...

Also the size difference means the Cibie sidelight holder *doesn't* quite fill the hole in the Wipacs, i.e. it would rattle around and fall out. Not that that should be a problem to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I can see!!

Just back from the club meeting - the Cibies are a *massive* improvement. More light over a greater range, and the most noticeable improvement is that when you flick to mains, you no longer lose sight of the 40' immediately in front of the car.

The most impressive and best value upgrade I can think of, if you ever drive at night. Properly impressed.

Thought I’d give this a go and changed:

Headlight bowls
Headlight bulbs
Side lights

Many members have criticised the current headlamps as poor performers at night.  Although I don’t currently travel many country lanes at night (most of may night driving is urban).  The following upgrades had been taken up by some and thought to be worthwhile especially as the outlay was modest for a reasonable gain in performance.

Headlight bowls were changed from Wipac prism glass to the modern crystal deflector type from Powerful.uk

The Headlight bulbs were std Caterham items some 15 years old and changed to H4 Osram Halogen Night Breakers +110%.

Side lights were changed to 501, 360 degree LED’s (temp White 5K). Much brighter than the std incandescent bulbs with, hopefully, greater longevity.

The lights were purchased from Autobulbs Direct Ltd.

Replacing all the above was a like for like fit except the sidelight aperture on the new headlight bowls was slightly smaller than the std Caterham fitment.  These were replaced with the wiring and connectors supplied with the new bowls and a couple of spade connectors.  The whole job took less than 1.5 hours including the obligatory tea break after one lamp was completed and a comparison check.

First night drive was yesterday and the improvement is impressive.  A much whiter light and the beam pattern definitely more focused to where the light is required.  There is nothing scientific behind this post, not even a photo.  Just wanted to extend my thanks to all those who posted on the various options.  I’m sure if you spend extra there are further benefits to be gained but this is a relatively cheap and simple upgrade that I would be happy to endorse.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have the 5" lights & simply upgraded with the 120% brighter halogen bulbs from Halfords. Four years later they are still going strong & totally transformed night driving. A cost effective upgrade which maintains the original character of the car.

• 1 year later...

The game has moved on a bit now, and the prices are tumbling. 

These seem a good value option for full led units at about £100 for a pair from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wisamic-Projection-Headlight-Motorcycles-Bulb-Black/dp/B01EA7U4GS

No side light it seems, but at that price if your worried about the sidelight for MOT you can just swap them back!

• 1 year later...

Many thanks SM25T - sounds good. Is the glass lens roughly the same shape as the original (I have seen that some stand forward about 1cm more than the originals)? Also, was there much improvement using the Powerful UK units alone?

Many thanks, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a night time run home along mixed roads. I had fitted LED bulbs and am happy to report great performance. No one complained, good cutoff and dip as well as excellent range. These are fitted in my '92 7 inch lamps on my HPC.

http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/  These guys offer great service; their torch is amazing and I have used the same bulb in my Yamaha ADV.

Safe Driving

I have patronised Classic Car LEDs.  *thumb_up*

Very good quality products (ie you can find cheaper but “buy cheap, buy twice”) and very rapid service.

Recently replaced the H4 units (£55 the pair) and 4x indicators (and new relay), 2x stop/tail and reversing and fog light bulbs for ~£75 between them.  (Had already done the sidelights and don’t see the benefit of a brighter number plate light.)

With the H4 bulbs, the light is brighter and whiter and has a similar beam cut-off to the 130% Bosch bulbs I had before.