Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX - Engine Try Fit - Update - 9/1/2015 - Success and thanks|

Tazio

Hmmm.

Had one of those days, I've try fitted my new VX engine today and come up against two problems ( the original chassis was a 2002 Academy car, replaced in 2010 by a new Arch one), the issues are as follows.

1. The chassis mounted engine mounts, specifically the nearside one, needs to be moved, it seems that I was wrong in thinking that the chassis mounts were always in the same position irrespective of engine type. Bugger

2. The Pace Dry Sump Pump Pulley fouls the cruciform, why?, have there been subtle changes to the triangulation and location of the cruciform on differing chassis types?.

The solution to Problem 1, is to take it to Arch and have the mount positions moved, as for problem 2...?

Anyone have any pictures of their Pace Pump Pulley and its relationship with the cruciform, and any running clearance it has with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan,

interesting issue with the mounts. Racking my brains on that. Certainly x flow and Vx were the same, trying to think if k was different. But I guess it must be.

which crusiform ate you referring to? I assume the lower one? The diagonal to the lower longitudinal chassis tube?

i can drop over tomorrow if you want another pair of eyes. Will try to dig out some pics.

guy

Found a bunch of pics, on way to you

Alan,

pics ca on there way via a file transfer site due to size.

does the pace pump bolt between the RH mount and the block, if not do you have the 10mm or so spacers in place?

if a pair of eyes would be useful I am happy to drop over. Will drop you a text.

Cheers

Guy

Paul.

Thanks for those. The relationship between the cruciform and the pump do look the same, though if I try and lower the block to allow the offside mount to fix in the chassis, the pulley fouls the cruciform.  Do you know what pulley size you have?

Secondly, the picture which included the remote filter housing, do you have any details of the brass adapter which carries what I presume is the low oil presseure warning light?. The ones ( yes plural) Think provided are just too contrived and prone to failure/leaks.

Alan

Paul,

Thanks for that, the help and sentiments are much appreciated. Thinking about it, as  the relationships of the components are similar to yours then it can only be pulley size, or the position the height the pump is mounted.

As far as pulley size is concerned..., I don't know, but I do know that the top of the pump is 6 cms below the block casting which forms the offside engine mount , do you happen to know what the measurement is on yours?

Alan

Hi Alan, try this shot for the pump location, relative to the other engine bits....

DSC02425(crop).JPG.75c6db9837a1aad633fe790c5f12870e.JPG

Just for clarification, would you like me to measure the distance from the chassis upright in front to the engine mount (the one that the rear half of the wishbones bolt to) to the centre of the rubber mount (where the big bold goes through)?

There's enough space in front of the diagonal on mine to get the new mounts in, either way

I'm at Arch tomorrow on another errand so I'll talk it through with Bruce and book it in.

The oil pump is another matter as the existing ( incorrect ) mount is an integral part of the pump assembly, so the solution isn't obvious at all.

Thanks everyone, much appreciate all the comments and photos, its clear the mount on the pump needs replacing, the mechanics of doing so are daunting as I believe it means the whole pump needs to be taken apart to get the correct mount in...still its all doable.

Alan