Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox oil

cb4798

Thanks all.

I posted something on the mazda site on pistonheads. A couple of people replied to say it should be filled from the side.

I also emailed Caterham yesterday who said the new gearbox has been filled with oil already so I don't need to bother. Even in the gearlevel mount. Although they did say you fill it from the top, without explicitly confirming the bolt in the picture is the fill hole.

I'm just going to check the level and leave it at that.

Thanks

Ok, you fill it from the top, hmmmmmmm, somewhat vague, fill it from the top until it's full to the brim, not likely, it would piddle out all over the place. And "no need to bother, it's filled at the factory", so what happens when you need to replace the oil after removing the engine? All in all not a very helpful response from the manufacturer. 

Regards. Nigel. 

Miata.com, don't muck around on PistonHeads, go to the people who have Mazda mx5 in their souls, as we have 7s,screeds of info. 

Jonathan, I will take some photos when I do it.

Nigel, I think you mean miata.net?

I must admit that the response for this particular question was a bit vague, but, in general the tech support has been very good. Very speedy responses with photos etc, so I have no complaints on that part. Having said that after sales still haven't responded to my email after 3 days.

I assume the correct way to fill it is to remove the level plug and then fill from the top. Although, I don't see while it shouldn't just be filled from the level plug?