Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Search box does not work as advertised

BBL

I tried searching for a single term that I know has been used in multiple threads well before the migration (by me), but got zero results.  I then tried searching for other terms that I was sure would be more common ("fuel", "Freestyle", etc.) and did get results, though the order of the results seemed random.

Trying to offer constructive points rather than snarky criticism here! http://www.lotus7.club/sites/all/libraries/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/regular_smile.png

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Area Representative

Search is still odd.

I searched for the thread with the profanities/insults by searching for "moderator" and for "moderators" and neither return it.

Furthermore: the results appear to come from oldest first, not (as I expected) by most recent.

• 4 weeks later...

I received an e-mail today from memsec@lotus7.club indicating, among other things, that the search function was now functioning properly.  I could hardly wait to get home from work to try it out (because unlike the old site, I cannot view any of the new site from the office).  However, I found the search function still does not return any results for a term I know has been used in multiple threads.  W-h-a-a-a-t?

While I appreciate the intent behind an e-mail being sent to keep the membership informed, the initial positive impact becomes significantly diminished when one of the statements in that update turn out to be untrue.  *mad*

edit -- The section of the e-mail referencing the search function:

You can delve deeper into the whole website using the search function which, although at the moment sometimes produces strange results, does include all content including guides, news and forum posts.

• Support Team

Like the email says, we know there are some issues with search. Right now number 1 priority is site performance. When that is adequate we'll look at improving search.

Search is one of the powerful aspects of the new site as it crosses all content types and during site development was working really well. The massive data migration would appear to have caused some issues which we'll look at as soon as we can.

In my experience, the following statements are currently true:

• Search is omitting some (not all) results for at least some terms, in both new and legacy posts
  • Search results are presented in a non-intuitive order
  • Club management and/or their appointees are working diligently to resolve this, as well as a multitude of other issues

I'm okay with all of this, and I patiently await resolution of the issues.  Thank you for your efforts. 

We've just found a thread whose title and content weren't found by searching and added a new post. The content of the new post isn't found by searching either.

To me this feels like a block of content that isn't indexed, and doesn't get indexed after it is changed. 

I also suspect that things I can't find were posted shortly before the transition, but I haven't investigated that in detail yet.

Understood about the priorities.

Jonathan

Putting site:lotus7.club at the end of a google search just instructs google to only return hits that are on sites that end with lotus7.club. It will only list things that the webbots have found and reported back to google. With 2m posts on BC it will take some time for all pages to appear. 

The BC film club thread I found is interesting as the topic is the original one, not the one it had at the transition (or 6 months prior to transition). This is presumably to do with the way that posts were held on the old database and the transition did not cater for changes in topic names. 

I agree with JK that it does look like some posts that were made around the time of transition are not indexed in the search tables. It is almost as if search doesn't know they are there. 

Steve

I have found another missing thread: http://www.lotus7.club/forum/chitchat/cranleigh-classic-car-show-18th-august

this doesn't appear in the search function (as far as I can tell). It was originally posted on the 18th August, so I will try and find more, going back in time until I find ones that are picked up by Search. 

If you want to have a go, use the way back machine http://web.archive.org/web/20130818153702/http://blatchat.com/f.asp?id=0 and find a posting that was originally made on the17 August or earlier. You need one that is reasonably unique to avoid multiple hits.

Take a note of who the original poster was and look them up on the new site and search through their postings until you find the one. (Hint - you can edit the number at the end of the url which will allow you to jump around more rapidly). Try searching for some of the more unique phrases in the thread to see if it has been indexed. 

Then post the thread link on here so we know it is not in the index. It may help find the bug.

Steve

Unable to find in Search

8/8/14 http://www.lotus7.club/forum/sale/2008-porsche-cayman-27-manual

30/7/14 http://www.lotus7.club/forum/chitchat/driverless-cars-0

on old BC site, but no sign on new one

30/7/14 by Alex Rae - "Lotus Seven Club Watch - Poll to select watch"

found 

5/6/14 Toby Coulson - http://www.lotus7.club/forum/chitchat/careless-drivers-face-spot-fixed-penalties 

7/8/14 Andy Bell - http://www.lotus7.club/forum/chitchat/trackdays-down-south

I have been discussing another problem with Sean Mcpartlan in the US - looking at the posts he told me about, I am pretty certain that the search function ONLY searches post#1 in a thread. 

It is pretty easy to check - pick any thread, find a phrase in one of the posts that is fairly unique and then search on it - it only finds it if it is in post#1.

This is a different bug to the one I was looking at in my previous post. 

Steve

Yes, I just looked at the Grizzly Bear Blat thread as an example, as I assumed it would contain relatively uncommon terms.  Searched for "Minneapolis", copied from post #2 of the thread directly, and that thread did not appear in the (few) results.  Then searched for "Vancouver" which was in post #1 of that thread, and the thread was in that search result.

It does seem that the search function is only returning results from content found in post #1 of any given thread.

*smile* Sean

• Area Representative

Good detective work chaps. Well done on the Shelock Holmes stuff! May be there is something in this "crowdtesting". *woohoo*

However, it will have to do much, much better in the future (preferably soon) because having spent all the effort in bringing the original BlatChat with us; it needs to be accessible. (The same applies to pre-transition links). Otherwise the importation is rendered pointless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

SM25T said

I find recent threads using browser and 'history' tab. Search no help at all .... unless from 2004.

You would need a long history file to find some of the threads I have tried to find! As I get rid of all history every time I shut down any of my laptops, I still need a functional search engine.

I've found it to be completely useless.  I just tried to search for a thread I made about the slowness of this forum, to highlight the fact that I am visibly ageing while I try to login, or mark threads as read, and I can't find it - despite remembering the title that I used.

So my only option is to go back, page by page, and look for the title.  Frankly I can't be @rsed to do that.  This forum is limping along like a lame chicken - although it is clearly a turkey.   *irked*

Can we choose which sub-fora to search? For example, Im currently doing a wide track conversion and front end tidy up.  It would help me greatly if I could search on 'Widetrack' in Techtalk, rather than all sub-forums including TT, Wanted and For Sale.  Is this possible?