Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham R500 Blog - first warranty claim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you guys are thinking it was spewing oil all over the place-this wasn't the case it was more of an extremely slow weep.

I called Caterham and they said "not to worry too much about it as a little oil weep can look more dramatic than it actually is" otherwise I wouldn't have used it.

Mmm - the pic of your garage floor is considerably-worse than I'd hope to see. My diff has wept slightly since I rebuilt the car ten years ago - and even sitting in the same spot for months at a time, you never even see so much as a tea-spoon sized splot on the ground...

That said, some of the earlier comments sound a little harsh given what comes out of some cars at the best of times (fuel, coolant, x-flow oil...). I'd probably be more worried about the reduction in your concentration levels given that some muppet in a mk1 Elise managed to scrape my Westie, returning to the pit lane with a recurrence of an earlier issue he'd had. 😔

Quoting OliW: 
There was quite a lot of fluid around the inside of the tunnel, on the rear of the prop shaft, the underside of the diff and around the A frame...
I did also say I cleaned it all.

Perhaps I should've also said that when I returned from the track day there was hardly any oil on the parts I cleaned.

The slow weep on my garage floor was the result of the car standing there for nearly 4 weeks.

No idea Mark - from my perspective, they done the PBC so I'd say it's down to them to sort.

It may well not be anything to do with the way it's been put together so I'll wait to hear what they say....

Quoting OliW: 
Not knocking you Daniel, just pointing out that sentences like that could have led people to think there was quite a lot of leakage.
Yeah I understand that from the replies I've received 😬

After a 400 mile round trip to wales and back it 'looked' bad, after cleaning it up, it was like new and after the track day there was hardly anything there (probably hardly any oil in my box too *cool*).

However, after the car being stationary for 4 weeks there was a fair bit of fluid on my floor.

Quoting Mark W: 
Are CC paying to remove your gearbox ( if necessary ) ?

For kit builds they normally only replace parts under warranty when its a customer built car .

When I ordered my R400 kit back in 2008, there was an optional item of £250 for "kit labour warranty", described as "labour cover for all warrenty (sic) repairs". I declined this on the grounds that, if I could build it, I could dismantle it. I think this charge is now £800. *eek*

So, Daniel, did you tick this item on your order form?

JV

Quoting John Vine: 

JV

Nope - didn't notice it on the form *confused*

I'll see what they say when they eventually call me. *cry*

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
That's an interesting one. On the 2013 (latest?) price list, it shows: R500 kit complete kit "n/a". So, by implication, the kit labour charge isn't relevant. But you managed to persuade CC to supply a kit. Should they have pointed out the kit labour option, or did "computer say no"? Certainly, the option is listed at the end of the form in a general section called "additional" -- not tailored by model. The explanatory note says "Kit labour warranty covers all labour costs associated with a warranty claim on a kit built car".

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 12 Sep 2014 14:57:06

Quoting Roadracer1977: 
Quoting John Vine: 

JV

I'll see what they say when they eventually call me. *cry*

It's all covered in clause 14 of the conditions of sale on the order form .Cars sold in component form don't include warranty labour .

I guess it's up to the individual to negotiate beyond that .