Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 Roadsport Ltd Edition

Recently purchased a 1996 1.4 Ltd Edition Roadsport which I understand was upgraded by Caterham/Rover from 100hp to 128/130hp and sold as a run out model.

Does anyone know the extent of the modifications carried out to achieve the increase in HP.

Thanks Guys

Gordon

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info.

Stu my car is number 11.

James Whiting has just carried out a Cam Belt change and noted that the engine was fitted with two cam gears each marked exhaust (instead of the usual inlet/exhaust) - was this acting as a cheap form of vernier gear???

Gordon

Assuming it has the Supersport upgrade, the next question is: is it a six-speeder? IIRC, the Ltd Edition came with 6sp box plus some carbon-fibre goodies. If so, that's a tidy formula for a road-going 7. There are many who feel the 1.4K SS engine was an almost perfect match for the chassis. The combination may well prove to be a collectors' item in due course.

JV

I had a 5 speed SS - which meant that utterly fabulous little engine didn't get the treatment it deserved (ultra low 1st, 70 in 2nd and 5th suitable only for intergalactic space travel ). The engine was the best sounding Seven I have driven and the noise from 5k to 7600 was addictive. No power or torque below 5000rpm and I rather doubt the full 128bhp were all present and correct as an upgrade to 160 bhp VVC power utterly transformed the go department

Gordon, welcome to the fold. I have No.23. 1996 metallic green with carbon cycle wings. I can certainly confirm that they make a good noise between 5,000 and 7,000. Also appear to have gone up in value by about £4,000 based on what I brought mine for from CC about 6 years ago compared to what CC and C&C are selling them for now.

John

Hi (No 23)

Thanks for that, mine was specified in a non standard colour (Bugatti Blue with Yellow Strip and nose band) According to Tony at TSK the colour Bugatti Blue is a Chris Rea special based on his Model 35 Bugatti.

It has also been upgraded with, LSD, Tillet Seats, Caterham Big Brakes, Quick Rack, Apollo, Race Alternator, VHPD 4 into 1 with 7" Silencer, Carbon Fibre Aero Screen and Spa Mirrors etc, and never tracked so they say.

I am more than happy with it, not a show car but used and very tidy, Sits outside under its cover ready for use.

When I bought it came with all the original bits so it can be returned to original.

Will sort out some photo's

Cheers

Gordon