Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre and rim sizes

Graham King

Folks, am looking to buy a new set of tyres and was planning to go up to 205 R13 from the current 185 on the back. Doing a bit of searching most sites say these are too big for my current 6" rims but too small for 8" rims. As these are both the standard Caterham rim sizes and Yokos and Toyos are only available in these sizes others must be running on one of these combinations.

So do the 205's fit on the 6" rims, 8" rims, both or neither properly?

Thanks.

Graham.

• Area Representative

As with Nick, I had an Opel Manta which I ran on 205 60 13's on 6" rims and apart from them being Firestone's which were a right handful in the wet, they were fine.

I have 205 60 13's on my 8" rears and there is a little bit of tyre stretch, but it's nothing too extreme like some of the VW boy racers....

http://images25.fotosik.pl/129/7d3ee08d6c7bdcba.jpg *rolleyes*

All the best

Richard

Thanks for all the responses folks.

Nick, thanks for confirming that 205's will fit on 6" wheels

Peter, good question actually, for road I guess the real answer is aesthetics as I like the look of cars on 8" rears. I also do the occasional trackday and on track I do find the current 185's can be overwhelmed at times (I have 210BHP). What made you change back to 6" from 8"?

Graham.

Quoting Graham King: 
Thanks for all the responses folks.

Nick, thanks for confirming that 205's will fit on 6" wheels

Peter, good question actually, for road I guess the real answer is aesthetics as I like the look of cars on 8" rears. I also do the occasional trackday and on track I do find the current 185's can be overwhelmed at times (I have 210BHP). What made you change back to 6" from 8"?

Graham.

I retain the option of 8" / 205 on the rear. However for road and probably track too 175 or 185 alround gives better balance, adjustability, finesse, fun.

With the narrower tyres you can really feel the rear suspension working. One notable difference is it is easy to feel the effects of the outer rear tyre being overwhelmed by load transfer from the ARB.

Disconnect a drop link and the improved grip from the job being more fairly shared by both rear tyres is obvious. Note that with bigger rear tyres this load transfer is still taking place, so which is better? One fat tyre working hard and one lazy, or two both working nicely in range?

The transition point near breakaway is also slightly more predictable and has a wider 'transition' zone between gripping and sliding. Therefore it is more accessible and entertaining an area in which to play/drive.

One possible downside is that running narrow tyres at the rear significantly reduces their life to aboout 2/3 that of the front. With 175/205, they seem quite closely matched.

It's a really easy and cheap chassis mod which will access a huge change in feel.

If you go for the, erhemm, "upgrade", please detail back on this thread your findings and ARB adjustments you feel appropriate with the fatties on.

Note to BenF: Anything to add?

Peter