Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SORTED (I think)...was 'Indicators on the blink'

Silverback

While running on track this evening, the indicators stopped working.

When the button was pressed, they would illuminate but not flash (both sides the same and hazards the same as well). Daniel had a look at fuses for me but all seemed ok.

Strangely after about an hour they started working again, only to stop once more about a mile from home.

Loose wiring, connector perhaps? Any starting points to investigate hugely appreciated! (Duratec R400)

Matthew

Edited by - Silverback on 23 Aug 2014 16:54:52

I'm not sure what the Superlight layout is - or what age/era your car is, but as others have said, the rectangular switches used on older/lower-spec cars are notorious for the mechanical hazard switch causing general indicator havoc.

Cycling the switch positions many times often helps - taking the unit apart is an absolute last resort as there are springs and things in there that are specifically designed to go ping!

Quoting nickh7: 
I would think the relay has worked loose , did you use some kerb last night *wink*

Seemed pretty snug and they were working again first thing this morning without changing anything.

I wonder if heat related as the heater valve was open and I noticed the passenger side vent is blowing directly at the fuse and relay panel (grasping at straws here).

CC are out of stock so will soldier on and replace when they are available to see if that is the issue

Yep, when they go, no amount of cycling the buttons or ignition on/off will bring them back to flashing life.

New relay ordered from redline and in the meantime trying randomness assessment of the fuses to work out which one is for what (future reference) - my layout has no resemblance to any printed manuals!

Quoting Ray Pearce: 
I'm guessing he has the new style push buttons rather than the usual old rocker and toggle switches. So the "work the hazard switch a dozen times to clean the contacts" trick won't make any sense.

Yep, that's the ones...as others have suggested, will replace the relay as a first step and then go from there *thumbup*