Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half hood questions.

DJ.

I've read lots about half hoods, but can't find much comment on the easy in zips.

I've used the full hood so far (for only heavy rain) as it came free with my car, but getting in and out is a right pain.

So is it any easier to get into the car with a standard half hood fitted than with the full hood?

If it isn't much easier, has anyone experience of the easy in zips?

Do they deposit all the water onto you when you get out, or onto the seat when you get in?

I also wondered if the hood flaps around more with the zips added.

Thanks for your advice *smile*

Duncan

Hi D J

I have a half hood and it is very slightly easier to get in, most people warned against the easy in zips because of leaks and drips and water on the seat as you said. I just went for the standard half hood from soft bits with matching stripe.

Well worth getting along with the shower cap.

Mrp

I can't comment on the leak aspect, as after 2 years of use, I still haven't used my half hood with zips in the rain, but they do make it easy to roll the flap back and secure to the roll bar to give a sort of semi open top or targa style, should the weather be a little inclement or you are taking that special lady out for a nice evening out and the hair needs to be kept looking good!

Thanks for the replies *smile*

I'm unlikely to use the half hood unless it is actually raining, so it sounds like it would be best for me to save money and buy one without the zips.

However, I do like the idea of being able to step into the car easily, so can anyone report how good the easy in option is when it is raining fairly hard?

Hi, I have a half hood with easy-in zips both sides. I'm 6'1" and not very flexible, would really struggle to fold myself up and get in without the zips. With the zips it's dead easy - unzip the roof, get in and sit down almost as normal, then zip up - makes it feel like a cross between driving and camping! With a half hood in torrential rain you always get a bit of spray around the back, so I wouldn't have thought the occasional drip from the zips would make much difference. All I can say is on the way back from a recent European trip, the heavens opened while we were on the M2 in Kent and it absolutely hammered it down for about 10 minutes, and there was no sign of any leakage around the zips.

Mine is a Soft Bits for Sevens half hood by the way.

• Area Representative

I have easy in zips on my half hood , we went for them as my wife has MS and it makes it better for her to get in and out,she said you can't just have one side with a zip you must have two!

Glad she said that would not be without them, make life a lot easier.

Kingsley.

Quoting Alan Reeves: 
Having had both half hoods I would go for soft bits

That's interesting, I've been tending towards them as they were the first to make half hoods and they do the easy in option.

Thanks for all the advice, I phoned up Soft Bits today and they were very helpful.

I just went for the classic halfhood in the end, and Jill even prompted me to give my membership number for a discount when I forgot to mention it *smile*

Duncan

You won't regret it Duncan, so much easier to deploy than the full hood & I find a much nicer place to be than in the tent. Your shoulders may get damp in very wet weather but I found the draught excluder from SB works really well (next purchase *tongue*)

We are about the same height so getting in & out just means you have to be nimble. I would really struggle if I did not have a removable wheel though. I hope you don't need it to often on your tour of Scotland!