Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mazda 5 speed gearbox

ants21uk

POBC,

It is getting very close to giving the final spec of my car to Caterham before it goes into production. During the GTKY7 Midlands day I was speaking to someone who mentioned that the Mazda 5 speed gearbox was being used in the academy this year, in readiness for it to be used in later Caterham models.

Unfortunately I can not stretch to a 6spd. Does anyone have experience of the Mazda gearbox and have an opinion on whether I should opt for it or stick to the original? *confused*

Does anyone know whether it has been a success in the academy so far this year?

All advice is gratefully received. *biggrin*

I have not heard anything back on the Mazda box yet but over the last few years there have been many failures of the Ford box in academy and roadsport. Some chassis mods needed for the Mazda box, if I were buying new and had a choice I think I'd go Mazda if this is going to be the future standard.

Are Caterham going over to the complete MX5 drivetrain? Just wondering how they deal with the fact that the mx5 engine is tilted a few degrees. Will they also tilt the engine, which would require new engine mounts? or will they tilt the box and have the stick at an odd angle?

If they're already using the MX5 gearbox in this year's Academy, then presumably they've dealt with this as part of the new bell housing.

I've not seen a Mazda engine in a Caterham anywhere, although there was a wankel-powered one once that I saw a picture of.

Jez

• Area Representative
At the recent Throckmorton club event Caterham had a Supersport R as a static display. This had a different H pattern and I got the impression from one of the guys that it was the Mazda box. So I guess they must be some way down the line of marrying it all up. It wasn't clear if it was going to be an option or a replacement.

I've got the Mazda box in my Morgan Three Wheeler, and to be frank it is the best bit about the whole car. It's as sweet as a nut, reverse slot is in a different place, but that isn't a problem, and the ratios aren't too bad, with the V twin at least, but a little closer would be nice.

I believe that Morgan are now using the Mazda box exclusively in their 4 wheelers, some now fitted with the 2l Duratec engine, and so far no problems.

I would say it is better than the Ford Box which is a pretty old design by now, though I couldn't say what a new designed gearbox would be like.

The Mazda box is fitted with a new front casing and a separate bellhousing. New chassis have a slightly different tunnel and a removable gearbox mounting plate that can be configured for Ford or Mazda gearbox.