Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement starter motor

Clawhammer

The pictured one is not for a K but its probably a generic picture. The K has 3 bolts.

Brise also do an Axial starter that has the solenoid as an internal part so is not subject to heat soak. I have had one on my car for about 6 or 7 years and never any kind of issue. They look like this one but obviously the bolt arrangement is different

here

I have fitted the powerlite to my k but I had to reposition the front plate to clear my exhaust (4 into 1 with external collector) and it still only clears by about 2 mm. Despite that it has been fine for last couple of years including trackdays and racing so getting pretty hot.

I have that one fitted to my r300 k. Had to do some minor modifications to get it to fit with the solenoid at the bottom, as far away from the exhaust as possible. Also had it replaced once under warranty, when the case cracked on a track day at Mallory Park. The service from brise was great though. *thumbup*

Gary, good point ref; rebuilding starter.

I found a crack in the case of my starter motor and the Caterham spacer plate was split across the bolt hole.

Having spoken with several owners that have fitted Brise products to their cars for competition use the general sensus was that the product was robust.

Given that the cost to replace the Caterham starter and the Brise starter were similar, for me the decision was easy.

I decided to exclude the Powerlite product due to lack of information regarding durability.

Robin.

YMMV in trying to rebuild a Brise.

I had one warranty rebuild on my first one (years ago) and eventually it started to exhibit the same problem (slow turn-over speed - probably due to another high-resistance connection).

I spoke to Brise and the uncertainties in the rebuild (including the cost of shipping both ways) was not reassuring. In the end, I bought another one from them.

Another club member then looked into (in some detail) buying it off me and getting it rebuilt. I think they were quoted around £100 for the job - mebbe £120.

At that price (not including the purchase cost from myself!) it was already getting dangerously close to the cost of a new one that would come with a warranty - so, as expected, the approach to buy my spare fell through as I'd basically have had to given it away for it to make financial sense.

I might pull it apart one day to see if there's anything obvious to fix - until then, it's a doorstop!

Having received and replaced the existing starter with the Brise unit. Starting problems have all gone. Fast spinning over but not firing as it used to. Need to touch throttle and hold at about 2000 revs to keep it running, won't tickover. Have reset TPS, made no difference. Also have just noticed the shift light in the Caterham speedo is staying on constantly

Both 12v leads we're replaced at the same time.

Any thoughts???

Robin

Check all your the connections are tight and good as JK has said.

The symptoms you are suffering are exactly as I had on mine, it turned out to be a useless connector in the main feed to the starter. I replaced it with a good brass one and now she starts fine, no throttle reqd.

Doug

Okay, so I had a chance to look at the car for the first time in a few days. first of all I refitted the original power leads, one at a time. This made no difference to the symptoms. I then replaced the Brise starter with my original rover unit. This made everything go back to normal, starting ok and running ok. I will call Brise tomorrow and see if they have any idea what the problem is. I assume there is a fault with the new starter motor.

Robin.