Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement Windscreen

smemly

Hi Guys,

I'm relatively new to the world of Caterhams, having only recently bought myself an 09 superlight. So i apologise if this is a well warn question. After a recent road trip & track evening my windscreen now wears a nice chip and crack, unfortunately way bigger than the 5mm allowed for a repair.

Looking on the Caterham site, the only listed (out of stock) option is a screen and surround for £400.00. Is there no option for the glass only??

Apologies for the blatant opportunism, but I have a perspex/polycarbonate/whatever it is screen that I've been meaning to put up for sale. It's currently in the surround and the stanchions are also available. I'm in Horsham so not a million miles from you - let me know if you're interested.

Regards,

Adam

If your insurance doesn't cover the cost of replacement, try your local windscreen fitters. They should be able to cut you a piece of laminated glass and fit into your frame, for around £60.

It will be unheated, plain glass, but safer in the long term than Perspex.

Cheers guys, I've managed to source a carbon aero screen for track duties and may have found a replacement heated screen.

If not, I've definately tracked down a source for an unheated one.

The plastic windscreens I suggested in the other thread are coated polycarbonate (Makralon brand). Same substance used to create police riot shields - it's virtually unbreakable. Steve from YC Plastics who makes them posted some technical info on the grads forum here.