Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pedal Stop

revilla

Following my slight hijack of this thread ...

I saw in this picture a throttle pedal stop which my car doesn't have. I presume it is this described as "Throttle Pedal Stop - Race".

Do non-race (my car is road-only) cars usually have these? Just wondering if it is an extra to take the additional load of a race driver banging his foot down or something more usual which I am missing which might be putting unwarranted strain on my throttle cable.

Thanks.

That's interesting as an idea, as I presumed a throttle stop would go through the footwell and provide a stop under the foot/pedal, but that is a stop to the top of the pedal. It would certainly be easier to adjust if placed on the top of the pedal box.

I have one of these but as a clutch pedal stop. Had it fitted by Hyperion after my last cable snapped after being stretched too far.

My car is a road car, Hyperion said they fitted them to the race cars as a throttle pedal stop for the same reason - to stop over stretching and snapping.

Cheers

David

*thumbup* I've always been an advocate of both throttle and clutch pedal stops in Sevens. Having had 3 sevens over 12 years all fitted with both of the above I never had a cable failure.

Doesn't that say enough?

Theoretically it is better to fit the stop behind the lower end of the throttle pedal, because the weight of the foot is taken directly by the stop. Putting it at the top protects the cable from snapping, but doesn't stop the faily flimsy throttle pedal bending.

In my opinion *smile*

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 27 May 2014 19:15:20

On the other hand, I've had my 7 over 15 years & 66k miles and have not had any cable problems....

Never had to replace a throttle cable (other than changing from x/flow to Zetec) and the only reason I'm on my 2nd clutch cable is that the clear plastic inner sleeve fell apart and prevented the smooth flow of the cable which resulted in a sticking clutch pedal.

All this without pedal stops *thumbup*. Guess it'll all go wrong now 😳

Pedal stop, what's that then?

Mines never had a pedal stop from day one, in 1982, could have been a shortage at delivery *wink*, or never deemed necessary back then.

I did fit one, of the home brewed type, to the throttle pedal, as it was obvious the pedal travel was longer than the carb actuator arm arc, so bending the shaft 🙆🏻, and have carried spare clutch and throttle cables to ward off failures.

Nigel.

I discovered my car had one shortly after buying it when the throttle pedal got stuck behind it thanks to the fact it wasn't correctly fitted! (actually, it was a total bodge job) Quite a shock to say the least!

I fitted the race version instead underneath the pedal and it's been great. Nice knowing it's there just to make sure I don't stretch the pedal.